This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packet forwarding on kubuntu

OK, heres the challenge : i have 3 computers sat relatively close to each other that i want wireless. I have 1 PCI rt61 NIC, but cannot afford the expense of a dedicated access point. Is it possible to get Kubuntu to share the connection over ethernet?

(diagram because i didnt explain that well)

[ADSL Line]
    |
    [ADSL Modem/Router]
    |
    [Access point]
    +---------------------------------------------------------------+
    : [other wireless clients]
    :
    [kubuntu box]
    |
    [Hub/switch]
    |
    +----+-----+
    [pc1][pc2][pc3]

I tried the bridge utilities (brcutils) but that doesnt work because it disables configuration of the interfaces, thus i loose my wireless connection. i know it can be done with IP tables, but how? even if i end up assigning [pc1], [pc2] & [pc3] with static ips, i would still like them to access all the services on the network (ie samba shares), so really i dont want masquerading/NAT.

if anyone has any advice it would be most gratefully received

Re: Packet forwarding on kubuntu

Firestarter will allow you to share your connection. It is pretty simple to set up and the documentation is good too. It's also a GUI.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Why don't you move the hub/switch to the same level of your PC and the other clients?
      Connect the hub/switch to the ethernet port on where the Kubuntu box is connected, and put it and the 3 pcs on the hub/switch.
      This way you wouldn't need packet forwarding.

Comment

The Kubuntu box is connected wirelessly and I assume the access point is in another part of the home/office and pc1-2-3 are close enough to the kubuntu box to be wired to it.

This probably is not the best way.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
          The Kubuntu box is connected wirelessly and I assume the access point is in another part of the home/office and pc1-2-3 are close enough to the kubuntu box to be wired to it.

This probably is not the best way.
          its not ideal, but the inflexibility of phone points, and other factors as well mean that its the easiest way.

i tried firestarter, now the box wont connect to the net at all :P oh well, work in progress

Comment

Working...
          X