This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing a printer on a local network

I searched around a bit already for this, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a local network setup in my house consisting of 5 computers. My desktop(wired), my laptop (wireless), my sisters laptop (wireless), my mom's laptop (wireless), and my mom's desktop (wired). All machines have XP home or pro on them, except my desktop, which dualboots XP and Kubuntu 6.06. There are two printers on the network; one is hooked up to my sisters laptop, the other hooked up to my mom's desktop.

Prior to installing 6.06 on my desktop, I had both printers shared, and all 5 computers could print to either one. The two computers that have the printers hooked to them are running zone alarm, so I manually entered all the IP's into the 'trusted' section of zonealarm in order to allow those computers to share the printers.

That being said, after doing some research, I installed samba on my desktop in order to allow it to access the network while I'm in kubuntu. I successfully set up a shared folder in my /home partition, and I can read and write to it from other computers on the network, so I know that kubuntu has access to the network (and other computers, including the two with printers, recognize it).

The problem is I can't figure out how to find networked printers in samba. Under the 'printers' tab, I select 'add printer' and it asks for a path. I think this would be used to share a printer hooked to my computer with other printers on the network. I tried typing in the path I use in windows for the printer on my mom's computer (\\poindexter\canon i470D), but that doesn't work, and i'm pretty sure that's not what it's looking for.

Any help?

Re: Sharing a printer on a local network

It gets easier in Edgy and Fiesty. But for you, I recommend using the cups interface. Of course you have to have cups installed first. Then access the cups interface at http://localhost:631. Where it asks for Path or url enter smb://nameofwindowscomputer/printersharename. That should work for you.

Comment

Working...
    X