This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which sub net is this PC really on ?

The ethernet card configuration is a 192.168 IP picked up by DHCP from my router and it's on a 255 subnet mask. Everything works fine in terms of internet access and it's a solo PC.

I'm now trying to connect to a HP printer connected via Jetdirect card through to the same router. The printer has a fixed IP in the same 192.168 / 255 range and it works fine under windoze.

If I try to scan for it from Kubuntu it

a) Can't see it
    b) Tells me the computer is on a different subnet (when I set it to scan the 192 range)

As I mentioned above as far as the router and PC are concerned running under Kubuntu it's a 192.168/255 combo. But if I look in the network config/DNS I can something called localhost use-home and user-home which are on the 127 range but I'm not sure what they are. The network interface tab shows the ethernet interface as being a 192.168/255 setup.

I should point out that following the initial install I did manage to get the printer running fine. Doing some automated upgrades on KDE put a stop to that

Re: Which sub net is this PC really on ?

OK, so you are running a basic printer install from the System Settings area using IPP Networked printer or Network Printer (TCP)? Because there is a difference. I believe that hp's support IPP, but you have to use a url type structure to do it using a default port. TCP should work. I would verify that the IP address on the jetdirect is static, and that you can ping the jetdirect from your konsole:

ping 192.168.x.x <where x.x is your respective subnet>

If you get a TTL response, then you should be good. If you don't, check your firewall configuration to make sure your IPP port is set properly (if using IPP). We will need a little more information to direct you further.

Comment

Working...
    X