X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless LAN PCMCIA card

All,

I have a Linksys wireless pcmcia card which I am trying to get going. One of the steps is to enable this card in Kmenu->System Settings->Network Connections. However, when I try and enable the card, I get a dialogue saying "enabling wireless adaptor" (or words to that effect), the adaptor flips to the enabled state for a couple of seconds and then flips back to the disabled state.

can anyone point me in the direction of what is going on, or any settings to check etc?

Thanks in advance

P
    "We simply must accept the fact that Captain Kirk is no longer alive!"

Re: wireless LAN PCMCIA card

yeah, I have been dealing with this for days. first I had futz with the network settings and change the default gateway which always came up 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.0.1 and then set the interface to manual and add the ip addy 192.168.0.102. Then switch it back to dhcp. what a f'n drag. So I dl'd kwifi manger and now when I plug my card into the slot I fire up kwifi and choose scan networks. new dialog comes up and I select [managed] and clik connect. voila. wireles is up and konqueror works again.
    Charlie
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Tried the solution and it didn't work for me.

I keep getting the error message of "Could not parse the XML output from the network configuration backend."

Any ideas for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

This sounds like a "classic" driver problem. With Linux that presents difficulties, but is not an impossible problem. It's difficult because most wifi chip makers don't share proprietary info with Linux developers; some do and that be the next part of the solution.

The first step is to figure out what chip is inside the wifi card. Unless you're using a USB wifi connection, enter the following into a console:
        Code:
        lspci -v
        The specific chip and version should be listed (i.e., Broadcom 4318, or something else).

Come back with the list from lspci or just paste in the wifi chip-specific output from lspci.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
        X