This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Out of Range" note during Boot

Hi Folks -- I am currently triple booting with windoz 2K, Ubuntu and Kbuntu (6.06) on my laptop, an IBM T23. On booting either Linux OS I get the on-screen message "Out of Range | 35.2 kHz / 78 Hz". This stays for 45-50 seconds and then loads just fine. It doesn't appear to hurt anything, on the laptop.

However, my desktop with a fresh install of windoz 2K on a 60G HD and a fresh install of Kubuntu (6.06) on a separate 60G HD I get the same msg forever. After 30-40 minutes I abort. The windoz runs but requires about twice as long to load and then is rather flaky.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

hmbrew

Re: "Out of Range" note during Boot

Assumedly, your X server configuration (the foundation to your graphical interface, so to speak) lacks proper settings for your display's horizontal and vertical refresh rates, respectively ... following an excerpt from my according file - for clarification purposes only:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "L565"
     HorizSync  30 - 65
     VertRefresh 59 - 61
     Option    "DPMS" "false"
    EndSection
    You may try to add these settings - but only if you are one hundred percent sure of the right values (for otherwise you may ruin the display ...).

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Thanks Birdy -- That just might be the problem, or at least part. I'll pursue it. Thanks again.

Jack

Comment

What I have found in the internet (by feeding "ibm t23 xorg.conf" to Linux @ Google) are the following values:

Code:
        Section "Monitor"
         HorizSync  32-90
         VertRefresh 59-75
        [snipped]
        You may give these a try - or revert to Windoze and try to find out what values this "OS" is making use of (have fun searchin' ...). Or, as I use to solve this type of problem, boot from a live system with good hardware recognition, i.e. Kanotix or Knoppix, and check out to what values this system defaults (successful booting provided, of course).

HTH
        Birdy

Comment

I have the same type of problem. I was able to install Kubuntu on several machines w/o any issues then when I connected the machines to the monitors they were to be used with they would not display anything and the monitor gave the out of range messages. Working with another admin he found that if you just comment out the Hsync and Vsycnc lines in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file the system was able to work just fine. The odd thing is that the spec on the monitor and agp card were with in each others range. And a new install with the low rez monitor did not work right. An other odd thing is that a FreeBDS installed on the high rez monitor worked fine with the low rez monitors. Go figure.
          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "L565"
          # HorizSync 30 - 65
          # VertRefresh 59 - 61
          Option "DPMS" "true"
          EndSection

Comment

Working...
          X