This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer fine, me the problem

Ok, system and drivers perfect, problem is that I cannot install anything like edgy or even adept, the apt-get update draws a blanc, what is the permission thing that I must change then
    every day is a gift

Re: computer fine, me the problem

Originally posted by fleamailman
    the apt-get update draws a blanc
    Assuming that you tried to issue this command from a console, you seemingly missed the part about the super user (aka root) - for sudo apt-get update should do the trick (provided network et al. are up and running).

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Or.....

from the menu, select "Kpackage", enter your passwork and install away !

Comment

sudo su was the first thing I thought of but I get timed out

Password:
        Err http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release.gpg
        Could not connect to security.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        Err http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release.gpg
        Could not connect to gb.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        Err http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates Release.gpg
        Err http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-backports Release.gpg
        Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...gy/Release.gpg Could not connect to gb.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...es/Release.gpg Could not connect to gb.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...ts/Release.gpg Could not connect to gb.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...ty/Release.gpg Could not connect to security.ubuntu.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
        E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
        fleamailman@fleamailman:~$

also, when I try fetch updates inadept manager
        it says there was an error downloading updates.

Anyways, I like kubuntu very much, but I would like to be able to update
        every day is a gift

Comment

open adept then on the top bar > view > manage repositories

check to see if the repositories are enabled ...

Comment

sudo su was the first thing I thought of but I get timed out
            This looks to me as if your network were down ... are you able to ping the server in question? If not (as I assume), you may pay a visit to System Settings > Network Settings (for the server itself responds, as I have verified).

HTH
            Birdy

Comment

penguin.ch, thanks perhaps I am not giving enough detail, four computers, three of which are XP belonging to my wife and family, mine is this computer now running kubuntu and a router connecting all together. On this kubuntu computer I can download stuff, but I cannot change the system,

my goals are:
              - listening to mp3s
              - watching streams on youtube
              -browing on firefox

I was able on my other computer in England while I was there to upgrade to 6.10 thanks to the help on this site but somehow this time and with this machine something is not clicking, I can take this computer to a friends if the problem is the router
              every day is a gift

Comment

O.k. then, what happens when you try to ping an external server, as for example:

Code:
                USER@C3PO # ping -c 3 [url]www.penguin.ch[/url]
                PING [url]www.penguin.ch[/url] (217.26.52.48) 56(84) bytes of data.
                64 bytes from server38.hostpoint.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=25.1 ms
                64 bytes from server38.hostpoint.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=23.0 ms
                64 bytes from server38.hostpoint.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=23.8 ms
                --- [url]www.penguin.ch[/url] ping statistics ---
                3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
                rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 23.067/24.023/25.159/0.872 ms
                Please post any output considerably different from what is shown above. - Hopefully this will help in narrowing down what is wrong with your system.

Birdy

Comment

good idea, how does one ping with kubuntu, thanks
                  every day is a gift

Comment

good idea, how does one ping with kubuntu, thanks
                    Open a console (aka terminal) and enter ping -c 3 www.penguin.ch.

Comment

am I doing it wrong, why can I post to this site on this computer and if I put www.penguin.ch directly into the address bar I arrive at it too but below is what happens when I try to use the konsole

fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c www.penguin.ch.
                      ping: bad number of packets to transmit.
                      fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c www.penguin.ch
                      ping: bad number of packets to transmit.
                      fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c
                      ping: option requires an argument -- c
                      Usage: ping [-LRUbdfnqrvVaA] [-c count] [-i interval] [-w deadline]
                      [-p pattern] [-s packetsize] [-t ttl] [-I interface or address]
                      [-M mtu discovery hint] [-S sndbuf]

thanks

[ -T timestamp option ] [ -Q tos ] [hop1 ...] destination
                      every day is a gift

Comment

Just "copy & paste" what I post into your console :P it is supposed to be ping -c 3 (not ping -c - which lacks the argument, as is stated in the error message you posted ...).

Comment

fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c 3
                          Usage: ping [-LRUbdfnqrvVaA] [-c count] [-i interval] [-w deadline]
                          [-p pattern] [-s packetsize] [-t ttl] [-I interface or address]
                          [-M mtu discovery hint] [-S sndbuf]
                          [ -T timestamp option ] [ -Q tos ] [hop1 ...] destination

yes i see I did it wrong the third time I tried before
                          every day is a gift

Comment

... and this time, you forgot to provide the destination you were trying to ping:

Code:
                            ping -c 3 [url]www.penguin.ch[/url]
                            ping -c 3 gb.archive.ubuntu.com

Comment

fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c 3 www.penguin.ch
                              PING www.penguin.ch (217.26.52.48) 56(84) bytes of data.
                              64 bytes from www.penguin.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=24.6 ms
                              64 bytes from www.penguin.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=23.8 ms
                              64 bytes from www.penguin.ch (217.26.52.48): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=25.0 ms

--- www.penguin.ch ping statistics ---
                              3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
                              rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 23.808/24.485/25.039/0.525 ms
                              yes, I see each line is:
                              ping -c 3 www.penguin.ch
                              Ok, I see what I did wrong, I need the ping bit too.
                              fleamailman@fleamailman:~$ ping -c 3 gb.archive.ubuntu.com
                              PING gb.archive.ubuntu.com (195.248.90.38) 56(84) bytes of data.
                              64 bytes from gb.archive.ubuntu.com (195.248.90.38): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=41.9 ms
                              64 bytes from gb.archive.ubuntu.com (195.248.90.38): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=41.1 ms
                              64 bytes from gb.archive.ubuntu.com (195.248.90.38): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=41.1 ms

--- gb.archive.ubuntu.com ping statistics ---
                              3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2025ms
                              rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 41.101/41.394/41.920/0.372 ms

every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
                              X