This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper install stalls consistently at 70%

I've lost count of the number of times I've now DLed tried to install Dapper from ther GUI CD and it stalls at 70%, with 14:43 remaining. When I've run the "check CD for errors" I keep coming up with one checksum error, and the one time I DLed the alternate CD, and ran an MD5 utility, it gave one checksum error also, and identified it as bein in one of the Open Office files. This has been very consistent...at least 5 attempts to install from at least 3 independently DLed ISOs, including both GHUI and alternate.

This is a dual boot install with Win2K, and is trying to install over a previous install of Dapper, into the same partitions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Optiker
    Optiker<br /><br />Alienware Area 51<br />P4 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM<br />NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800, 256 MB<br />Windows XP Home

Re: Dapper install stalls consistently at 70%

One usually working 'trick' for an error-free CD burn is to burn it at a lower speed (1-4x).
    You can try it to see if it helps (if you can spare another CD)

Another option is to order a free CD from 'Ship It' https://shipit.kubuntu.org/
    (It may take a while to arrive, though)

Of course, there might be another reason than a faulty CD why the installation won't go through, but I'd try with an error-free CD first.

Comment

Re: Dapper install stalls consistently at 70%

If you burned at a slow speed (and I do mean slow) and still have errors you might want to check the following
      Your burner may be bad, download the windows program cdcheck, copy an old pre DRM music cd and check it for errors. If you get errors in a music cd your burner is either very dirty or getting ready to fail.

On the install CD there is the mtest86 application. Run it for a half hour or so to heat your ram up good and see if you get errors

How long has it been since you defraged your windows drive and scanned it for errors? On a very fragmented drive a large file like an ISO will be scattered all to hell and back, throw in a bad block or 2 and you'll have problems for sure.

Comment

Working...
      X