X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no boot after install - apic error?

Hi,

I just decided to give Kubuntu a try. I installed with the alternative install cd and everything went smooth until the install program rebooted. The computer froze after Grub showing the Kubuntu splash. I rebooted in failsafe and got the following last lines (written by hand so maybe not absolute correct):

Code:
    [17179588:68000] Modules linked in: intel_agp psmouse hw_random snd_mpu401 snd_mpu401_uart analog parport i2c_core agpgart sero_ram shpchp pci_hotplug snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device pcspkr evdev irtty_sitr sir_dev snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore floppy gameport snd_page_alloc irda crc_ccitt ext3 jbd ehci_hcd ide_generic uchi_hcd usbcore ide_cd cdrom ide_disk piix generic thermal processor fan fbcon tileblit font bitblit softcursor vesafb capability commoncap
    [17179588:68000] CPU: 0
    [17179588:68000] EIP: 0060:[<c01143d1>] Not tainted VLI
    [17179588:68000] EFLAGS: 00010002 (2.6.17-10-generic #2)
    [17179588:68000] EIP is at clear_local_APIC+0x21/0xc0
    The computer is a Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz with two hardrives (Seagate IDE 40 + 120 Gb) and Windows XP (NTFS) installed parallell (boots fine). GeForce 5200 card, 512 Mb ram. Logitech DiNovo bluetooth keyboard/mouse via usb.

I used 18 Gb on hda for Kubuntu. Any help on what to do is appreciated!

Re: no boot after install - apic error?

At first sight, I would suggest to add noapic to the list of boot parameters and give it another try ...

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I added the noapic flag in grub without success... I also downloaded Knoppix, which can't boot the computer no matter the boot flag. (noapic, noagp, acpi=off, noapm, noaudio, nofstab, etc.)

I managed to get a failure message:

Code:
      [<c0103fb8>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x1c/0x24
      Code: 18 7e ef 31 c0 {snip}
      <6> agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
      Almost the same. Note that I've tried with noapic and noagp plus some more flags. I've used nousb and a ps/2 keyboard from time to time and nothing. I'm shooting in the dark here...

Comment

Originally posted by matador
        I also downloaded Knoppix, which can't boot the computer no matter the boot flag.
        If Knoppix fails, you are in serious trouble (at least that is what I have experienced ...). However, you may give Kanotix a try (which has a hardware recognition of similar quality to Knoppix, but founded on partly different methods).

HTH
        Birdy

Comment

I tried Kanotix but no go...

I suspect three causes but I have no real clue:

1) the motherboard is a QDI BA1/GV, which is probably the worst board I've ever seen. Not even an AGP slot. I've had some problems with drivers in Windows with it (audio and video) but it works.

2) the GeForce FX 5200 is a PCI card.

3) the BIOS settings.

It just seems weird to me that a computer can't be run on Linux but on Windows XP. It couldn't be that way with such old hardware, or?

Comment

Working...
          X