This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no boot after deleting a partition

I removed the linux partition on my brothers machine since he never uses it and now it doesn't boot. He has windows xp on another partition. I need to repair the MBR. when I try to boot I get : Grub error 22. I have read some posts on this subject but would like to be very sure of the procedure. I have had other friends try to repair their windows install with the install disk and wind up losing everything. Can you use the windows install cd to repair the MBR?
    Charlie
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: no boot after deleting a partition

Really natural behavior as the files for grub containing the list of OS is on the linux partition you kicked.

Use your WinXP CD, boot to repair console and hack into console:

Code:
    fdisk /MBR
    This reinitializes the MBR for WinXP. Next start, everything should work well again.

Comment

Really natural behavior as the files for grub containing the list of OS is on the linux partition you kicked.
      Yeah,  I realized what happened after I booted (DOH!). 

When I put the windows disk in,  is there any prompt to go to console?
      Charlie

EDIT:
      The disk has two partitions. The first used to be the linux part. and the second is the windows. If I remember correctly the table looks like this:
      /dev/hda1 27gigs ntfs
      /dev/hda5 46gigs ntfs bootable
      /dev/hda4 27gigs ntfs

So I made the first Pt (hda1) a logical PT and the second (hda5) is where windows os resides. hda4 is the same as hda1. I don't understand why this is but that is what prints out. If this is a problem I can make hda1 primary. I can also just reinstall kubuntu on hda1 and leave it at that.
      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Hi,

From the windows cd, you should choose repair during the install process.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
        X