X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

download 6.06

Back in august I downloaded 6.06.01.
    2 days ago I attempted to update some apps by using Automatix2. I must have checked a dozen apps. "FATAL ERROR" kept popping up.
    I went to the Automatix forum and was advised that "doing one thing at a time is the way..."
    Today my 6.0601 would not accept any mouse imput, so unusable.(this is being sent on an XP machine)
    My question
    If I download 6.06 again do I get the same as back in August or have all the updates been incorporated in it?
    Thanks
    (will have to look at easy ubuntu!)

Re: download 6.06

Hi,

For me, as I can see in download website you, will be back in august...

Cheers

Comment

Don't have a look at Easy Ubuntu, Don't try to use Automatix1,2,3 or any other number. All of these quickie scripts work fine, MOST of the time, but they leave your machine in a bad way when they don't work, and they don't work on perhaps as many as 20% of the systems that are out there. You just happen to be one of the unlucky suckers, uhh, users whose system does not correspond to the assumptions made by the guy who coded the script.

Moreover, as far as I know, you can't use Automatix to update software that was installed in the normal manner (i.e. before you let Automatix screw up your system).

If you download 6-06.1 again, it will be pretty much the same as it was in August. At that point, however, you should do a normal system update using Adept, or Apt-get (from the command line). Then look at this Ubuntu Community Help Wiki Page to learn how to install the stuff you previously installed with Automatix WITHOUT screwing up your system. After you have installed that stuff the old fashioned way (i.e. correctly) you can update it using the standard methods.

Comment

many thanks for your advice
        Went to the wiki; it does seem a lot more complex than just clicking a box and watching everything get installed.
        But if the result works.....that's what is important
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X