This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept upgrades

Hi! I'm new to these forums, been using Kubuntu for a little while, FC before that.

I'm currently using Kubuntu Dapper at home, and I'm wondering is it possible to upgrade my system and keep it completely up to date just using apt updates? Or do I still need to do a fresh install from time-to-time?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Re: Adept upgrades

Security upgrades, updates in the kernel, etc. can be downloaded via adept,
    Full upgrade/Fetch upgrades. Tho to get the new version of kubuntu (edgy), you would need to reinstall using the new (live) cd.

Comment

I read of folks using the same distribution for years without a reinstall *or* a reboot. I've read several people say they have upgraded K/Ubuntu releases (for example Breezy to Dapper to Edgy) without doing a complete reinstall.

Of course these are very experienced Linux users, normal mortals like like us will likely find a reinstalling to be the easiest way to recover from those little oppsi moments.

In Linux performance doesn't degrade over time ****if you fix your oppsies as you go.***** There is no registry to corrupt (was this term "corrupt" a Freudian slip on Bill Gates part? Windows gets corrupt, in Linux you break stuff - it can be repaired. Corruption of course needs to be completely exorcised) anything installed through the package manager can be completely and cleanly unistalled. Any hand compiled or installed applications can be added to the package manager by the "checkinstall" command for a later clean uninstallation.

I locked this install in 4 months ago. Since then I have installed and uninstalled many applications (well over 100 I'd guess) with no degradation in performance.

For that matter! I haven't shut this computer off for over a month now, and always have 14 applications running (7 in the system tray) and it's as snappy today as it was when I decided to stop turning it off..

For us normal humans that have oppsi moments - you back up your Kubuntu install in less than 20 minutes and restore from bare metal in about the same time.

Comment

Thanks for your responses people.

Originally posted by D92
        Tho to get the new version of kubuntu (edgy), you would need to reinstall using the new (live) cd.
        What I'm trying to understand is: what is there in the new edgy that I can't get through apt? In what way would I not "have edgy" after doing a complete upgrade through apt?

Comment

You absolutely DO NOT have to reinstall from scratch (although, you may have less trouble if you do). There is NO software in Edgy that you can't get via apt, however, some of your configuration files may still hold information that is less than optimal for Edgy. This could cause difficulties ranging in severity from unnoticeable to catastrophic. Usually the catastrophes don't set in until you've gone through several dist-upgrades e.g. Hoary to Breezy to Dapper might get messy (where messy is defined as no X, or no internet) when upgraded to Edgy. Whatever you do, DON'T TRY TO SKIP, e.g. Breezy straight to Edgy. That will definitely cause problems.

For further info look here. Personally, I always use the "Not Recommended" procedure.

Comment

Working...
          X