X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop x from starting at bootup

Hey everyone,

I am running Kubuntu desktop on top of Ubuntu server. I want to stop KDE starting automatically at bootup, because this is primarily a server. I only want to start KDE on occasion for development tasks on the server. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Kjel

Re: How do I stop x from starting at bootup

Probably there are many ways, I think the most common is to start your system in runlevel 3 instead of 5. You can set this in /etc/inittab.

In my ubuntu server I have a row like this:
    id:2:initdefault:
    (a bit strange, it seems to default to runlevel 2 that should be multiuser without network )

try, but be carefull with these files (BACKUP & be ready with a boot cd )

Comment

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Kjel

Comment

Hmmm. I changed the default level from 5 to 2, but it still wants to go into KDE. I don't want to uninstall it, because it comes in handy, but I might have to.

Comment

Being a debian based distro, (k)ubuntu defaults to runlevel 2 (instead of 5 like some other distros)

Also, (k)ubuntu runs the same services on each runlevel by default (you can modify these if you like).

If you don't wish X to start by default, you should modify runlevel 2 by preventing kdm from starting. To do this, go to SystemSettings>SystemServices, click into 'Administrator Mode' and edit runlevel 2 to not start kdm (choose 'kdm' and untick 'Start during boot')

Comment

I installed kde-core on top of Ubuntu server for similar reasons. The desktop does not start at bootup, which is what I want. But how do I start it manually when I need it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Jobe
              I installed kde-core on top of Ubuntu server for similar reasons. The desktop does not start at bootup, which is what I want. But how do I start it manually when I need it?

Thanks
              sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

Comment

Originally posted by mfburgo
                sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
                I tried that. It didn't recognise that command. I found this other guide. It seems to be closer to my situation than the other suggestion I got, which was just to install kde-core. This one suggests to also install x-window-system-core. Then hopefully kdm start will work.

Comment

When at login window, select menu and console login.

Maker sure in Syadmin "Users" that you are not loggin in any user automatically.

You could also remove KDE. Apt-get remove kdebase should grab a lot of dependant KDE stuff so as to make KDE not work, and then it would offer a command line login.

Comment

Working...
                  X