X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to all the apps?

Hi! Me again.
    It's interesting this installation of Kubuntu Dapper installed far fewer applications than Breezy. What's up?
    Thoughts?
    Thanx

Re: What happened to all the apps?

For example...?
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

There were things like XMMS, GIMP, gobs more system apps, etc. Just seems scaled down.
      Also, when I installed XMMS and GIMP from Adept, Dapper failed to list them in the appropriate menus.
      Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw
        There were things like XMMS, GIMP, gobs more system apps, etc.  Just seems scaled down.
        Also, when I installed XMMS and GIMP from Adept, Dapper failed to list them in the appropriate menus.
        Thoughts?
        Hmm, I don't think Breezy installed GIMP by default (Krita)
        Also, the default player in breezy was amarok, and as far as I can tell xmms was only installed because it was needed as a dependency for other software (can't remember what it was that needed it :P)

It's the '(k)ubuntu philosophy' that only one application is installed for one task whenever possible. Though sometimes the one installed isn't the one you'd chosen, it's way easier to add/change the things you want than to uninstall everything you don't want

Comment

Gotcha. Thanx for the education.
          Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X