X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to log into CUPS

Hi! Going through the motions here.

First off, in my previous breezy installation, I was able to access CUPS through the web browser using the computername:631. In Dapper, it is localhost:631. Thoughts?

Next, once I access CUPS in the browser, if I want to add a printer it asks me for user name and password. I entered my user name and password, I get this:

Code:
    401 Unauthorized
    Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page.
    Since Kubuntu doesn't really allow root access, this makes modifying anything very difficult and forces one to use the System Settings Control Center to make the changes. It's cool that way but I like to have access to CUPS.

Thoughts?
    Thanx

Re: Unable to log into CUPS

Most likey you have a firewall blocking that port. Open that port up and you should be able to access CUPS no problem. I don't have a printer on this machine, so part 2 of your question will have to be answered by someone else. Sorry.

WIll

Comment

No, no...I can access cups just fine. It just asks as it should for administrator log in. When I give it, CUPS rejects it. Since I do not have any root login information, there is no access. The question is, is the printer interface in Kubuntu System Settings enough to manage all printer functions?

Comment

I never found a way around this > One of the odd things abount an Ubuntu based system). Good news is though that I've never had a problem with the printer manager in Kubuntu - It even handles my HP Network printer with ease (Bizarre when you think I had to go through a 30 min software install to run it in Windows)

Comment

Oh I'm sorry, lol, I misread your post completely. I will grab my printer off my other machine and screw with it and try to find a solution. My bad.

Will

Comment

I suppose one could go into the config file and allow root login or something like that but what is it really asking for?

Breezy always allowed access with the admin user and password.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X