This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple hard drives help needed

Ok, I have a long distance friend from the army that was fed up with windows. I was only too happy to send him a kubuntu cd 64 bit. I am not a computer guru. I have taught myself through trial and error but have had no formal training. I did train myself to hate windows and love the linux operating system however Here are some of the questions (emails he sent) Can anyone help answer these questions. I'm not sure how to answer them. Hell, I don't even know how he has all the connectors to hook up 10 hard drives :

got a chance to try out the cd's this morning. neither of the ubuntu would boot up. it would get to the point where it shows the 'ubuntu' sign, then a line that says 'hit enter', then before i can hit enter it gives a second line that says 'boot' and then it won't go anywhere.
    I did get the kubuntu to boot up and thought it was pretty cool. i got online with it and was impressed with the browser. After looking over the ubuntu demo on windows, I think i'll give that kubuntu a try.
    Just one thing though, how can i retrieve data off my four secondary drives which are formatted for windows? Will it be possible to see those drives as they are once I install kubuntu to my primary?

yep, 5 hard drives, all formatted NTFS. The primary one I'd reformat to the linux. I figure worse case scenerio i'd have to burn everything I'd want to keep to dvd's. I've got a dual layer burner so I can get about 8 gigs on a dvd but still, that's a lot of data and the dual layer dvd's are expensive. I've got enough regular dvd's to do the job though, it'd just take longer. I'd say about half my music I could just rip from my cd's again which I was wanting to do anyway. The first time I ripped most of them they came across in .wma and I've been wanting to redo them as .mp3's.

well i have an 80 gig primary SATA drive, a 160 gig secondary SATA drive, a 200 gig IDE data drive, a 120 gig IDE adult content drive, and a 120 gig IDE drive for music.
    I haven't been utilizing all that but I like to brag I have over half a terabyte of hard drive space lol.

oh yeah, I also have two dual layer dvd burners but can only use one because I haven't figured out how to have two raid drivers on this pc.
    I wasn't planning on doing a dual boot but haven't ruled that out for a winter time project. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out why I can't play any kind of videos and am perfectly willing to reformat my primary drive as many times as it takes. That's the beauty of having all that extra hard drive space, no excuse not to have everything and anything backed up.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Help me save someone from the agony of windows. Also another question. My sisters windows Me messed up (Imagine that) She's giving me full power to load anything on it. Without spending any money (which I probably wouldn't get back) what's a good distro for a 733 MHz 64 Meg SDRAM (memtest was fine). Mepis lite is too slow. I think I need to swap to a faster cd (no money involved there) but would puppy or feather or just like a fluxbox or xfce desktop be good for this machine

Re: Multiple hard drives help needed

how can i retrieve data off my four secondary drives which are formatted for windows? Will it be possible to see those drives as they are once I install kubuntu to my primary?
    Yes it wil be possible to see those drives. If they are formatted for FAT32, you can both read and write to them, if ntfs, you will be able to read them, but writing will be chancey. Linux software to write to ntfs drives is coming, but it's not quite here yet. Of course, M$ could make it easy, but don't hold your breath until that happens.

When you set up your Kubuntu system, just make sure that the drive that you want to hold the kubuntu programs is the first hard drive that the bios tries to boot from. That will be sda, if it's your 80G SATA. Then sdb would be your other SATA, and hda and hdb will be the master and slave on your first ide cable, and hdc and hdb will be the master and slave on your second ide cable. I assume that one of those is your one of your DVDs. Where is the other DVD? When you're ready to start reading stuff from those drives, come back and someone here will help you set up your /etc/fstab file. that's the file that tells Linux where to find things. RAID is a outside my expertise, but there are folks here who can help you with that.

With regard to media, WMP and WMA are tough (wonder why) but mpg, mp3, mp4, aac, ogg, flac, ra, ram, avi, divx, and a few I can't remember are all readable. You should be able to play most audio and video formats in Linux.

MOst people run dual boot, for a while after they start using Linux. It takes a while to get used to the Linux way of doing things and there's no point in making it harder than it has to be. There are still some programs that can't be run in Linux. The biggie is Autocad. It's a standard and there's no substitute. There's a Linux work alike for just about everything else.

Welcome to Linux.

Comment

Re: Multiple hard drives help needed

Thank you

Comment

Working...
      X