This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't login after upgrade

i've installed kubuntu dapper, uncomented every repository line, then updated, upgraded and dist-upgraded. after doing this, i reboot and the login window appears, i write both username and password, the screen goes black and the login window appears again, can't pass it! this happens over and over again as i try to login. please help. thanks

Re: can't login after upgrade

when i start in recovery mode it throws this error:

Error opening /dev/wacom: No such file or directory
    (EE) xf8600penSerial: cannot open device /dev/wacom

the error above appears many times and then this one:

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
    refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

would appreciate if anyone could help me.

Comment

Hi,

Don't know if you solved your problem, anyway you should try to go to terminal window (in normal boot, type <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> when you see the login screen), you will get to a black screen, enter your login and when asked your password.
      Then try to update your system again, maybe something broken down, during last upgrade :
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After installing all stuff, reboot and check if it's better, if you get any error, please copy it here.

Cheers

Comment

I'm having the same problem and followed your instructions, but the same error message persists. What is dev/wacom? I'm guessing it needs replaced? How would I go about doing so if a distro upgrade didn't work?

Comment

In fact, this dev/wacom it's in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You can check how to solve this by making a search on the subject "BadDevice wacom"
          And you should get it, if I remember well, the solution was to comment the paragraphs about wacom and the lines were the devices about wacom appears...

Cheers

Comment

In regards to the FreeFont refcount error I solved that by removing my /home/greg/.xinitrc file. Weird eh? Hope this helps ya...

Comment

Working...
            X