This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time is accelerating in KDE

Not sure if this is the right place for this one. I am finding that the time advances by about 5 min. each day. I have tried adjusting it in "Date & Time" by selecting another site, eg. "Public Time Server" or any of the others, yet it still advances.
    How can I correct this.

Re: Time is accelerating in KDE

You should be able to adjust the date and time automagically by checking a little box that becomes visible when you're in Administrator mode.

Comment

Thanks for that, however that box is already checked, and I am still getting an accelerated time by about 5-7 min. per day. Only if I change to another time server do I get an update of the time.

Comment

I noticed this.

In the konsole:
        $ sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org
        23 Aug 20:12:39 ntpdate[7487]: sendto(fiordland.ubuntu.com): Operation not permitted
        23 Aug 20:12:40 ntpdate[7487]: sendto(fiordland.ubuntu.com): Operation not permitted
        23 Aug 20:12:41 ntpdate[7487]: sendto(fiordland.ubuntu.com): Operation not permitted
        23 Aug 20:12:42 ntpdate[7487]: sendto(fiordland.ubuntu.com): Operation not permitted
        23 Aug 20:12:43 ntpdate[7487]: no server suitable for synchronization found

So i started firestarter and added new rule in the outbound traffic policy : Allow service - NTP.

After that:

$ sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org
        23 Aug 20:13:35 ntpdate[7944]: step time server 82.211.81.145 offset -24.047990 sec
        So - check your 'firewall' settings
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

This is what I got;
          peterhin@GnuLinux02:~$ sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org
          Password:
          23 Aug 14:09:43 ntpdate[5659]: step time server 82.211.81.145 offset -132.748694 sec

I noticed that the offset in mine is larger than yours, not sure if this is the problem.?

Also I am not familiar with "firestarter" or with the firewall.
          Could you please enlighten me on these points.
          many thanks.

Comment

About firestarter:
            gtk program for managing and observing your firewall

Firestarter is a complete firewall tool for Linux machines. It
            features an easy to use firewall wizard to quickly create a
            firewall. Using the program you can then open and close ports
            with a few clicks, or stealth your machine giving access only
            to a select few. The real-time hit monitor shows attackers
            probing your machine.
            Note: Your NTP port is already open. Mine wasn't.

About firewall and kubuntu:

From http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...g-kubuntu.html

There is no option during installation to configure a firewall, and Kubuntu includes no graphical firewall configurators. Kubuntu installs with no open ports, so strictly speaking it doesn't need one. A running service, like a web or mail server, creates an open port. No open ports means nothing to attack. While this viewpoint is valid, I think it's a bit shortsighted, because hardly any installation remains unmodified...

If you don't get KDE time checking/setting to work:

Press: Alt + F2 > kdesu kcron > Choose root and right click: program: ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org
            Choose daily (+ how often you want to set time).

About kcron:
            KCron is an application for scheduling programs to run in the background.
            It is a graphical user interface to cron, the UNIX system scheduler.
            About ntpdate:
            It is also possible to run ntpdate from a cron script. However, it is important to note that ntpdate with contrived cron scripts is no substitute for the NTP daemon, which uses sophisticated algorithms to maximize accuracy and reliability while minimizing resource use. Finally, since ntpdate does not discipline the host clock frequency as does ntpd, the accuracy using ntpdate is limited.
            more: man ntpdate

Comment

Great info I will be doing some reading.
              About your suggestion;
              Press: Alt + F2 > kdesu kcron > Choose root and right click: program: ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org
              Choose daily (+ how often you want to set time).

When I click on root I get two folders; Tasks, and Variables, and both are empty.
              I am not sure where to go from here.
              What I tried was to right click Tasks and got "Edit task Kcron" Now there are two options "Comments" and "Program". First I am not sure if this is the right place, second do I just comment "ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org" and then set the other variables, or do I have find it in programs. If the latter where is that file.?
              Or am I in the wrong place alltogether.

Comment

Yup - you are in the right place.

Choose tasks > Right click tasks > Choose New (or press Ctrl + N) > Pop up jumps (Edit Task - KCron)

I tried this (seems to work ):

Program: /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.ubuntulinux.org

Daily: Run every day (choose this)

About when (ntpdate - set the date and time via NTP - http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpdate.html ( /1/ This is also in the repositories. name: ntp-doc ))

When running ntpdate on a regular basis from cron as an alternative to running a daemon, doing so once every hour or two will result in precise enough timekeeping to avoid stepping the clock.
                /1/ ntp-doc
                Network Time Protocol: documentation
                NTP, the Network Time Protocol, is used to keep computer clocks accurate
                over the Internet, or by following an accurate hardware receiver which
                interprets GPS, DCF-77, NIST or similar time signals.

This package contains HTML documentation for the ntp packages (ntp,
                ntpdate, ntp-simple, ntp-refclock). Since there are no substantive man
                pages for ntp's programs and configuration files, this package is
                desirable for any setup beyond the simple configuration supplied by the
                server packages.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, that really helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X