This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub install selection.

After doing a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06 using the Alternative disk so I could install grub in the / partition, thus inabeling me to use a third party boot manager, and accidently chossing the wrong partition I can no longer chose where to put grub.

The disk simply installs grub without ever asking me for my advice. I have wiped the mbr a dozen times with a 98SE boot disk's Fdisk /mbr, as well as Ranish Partition Manager, and the latest version of acronis. I have completely wiped the drive 3 times, and reinstalled my boot manager (XOSL) every time.

No matter what I do the disk simply acts like grub is still there and procedes without asking me. I'm getting so pissed I'm almost to the point of doing a low level format of the damn drive. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

The system is a Acer 4005 Laptop.

Thanks for any help....

Re: Grub install selection.

Not totally sure I understand what the problem is but why don't you proceed with the normal install, this will allow you to dual boot in the normal way usiing Grub as your boot manager. Then if you want to use an alternate boot manager, install Grub to your / partition using the grub-install program and the --root directory = dir command (I think) - instructions here

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...b-install.html

Then you can install your alternate boot manager from within windows.

Comment

Re: Grub install selection.

Have you tried unsetting the boot flag on the partiton?

Comment

Working...
      X