This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE crashes when using KDM

Upon completing the installation and customizing things a little I did a dist-upgrade (I think I have some unofficial repositories in there, in additiion to universe and multiverse, so that's what probably did it). It booted a couple times after this, but all of a sudden stopped working. Here's what happens:

The computer will boot perfectly, the KDM login screen will come up fine, I type in my login and password and it starts up the splashscreen. This is where things go wonky, instead of icons showing up along the middle I get blue squares and the entire system is locked up (no mouse, no switching to consoles, no ctrl-alt-delete). However if I boot up using the safe option in grub and run xinit first (as a normal user) followed by startkde everything works. (using startx directly from a terminal doesn't work as normal users aren't allowed to run X)

I can get to a VT from kdm but I havn't tried doing the xinit/startkde from that point (perhaps it's to do with the runlevel?), I'll try it tomorrow after work and report back.

I've wracked my brain to try and figure out some way of looking at a log of what's going on (the only way I can think of is with xinit, but that works, so I don't know), kdm.log doesn't show anything wrong, system.log doesn't seem to either, though it's harder to tell with that.

Re: KDE crashes when using KDM

Startx does work for normal users, just try it from the recovery mode console login. Once you've got KDM going, X is up, so you need to use the xinit, startkde thing. My guess is that KDM is the problem. Are you aware that you can run KDE from GDM? Just change /etc/X11/default-diplay-manager to "/usr/sbin/gdm", if you have Gnome installed.

Comment

Yeah, but I don't like gdm

I'll try installing again and leaving the repositories as is (with universe and multiverse), and if it still doesn't work then I'll try without the 'verses. If it still doesn't work I think I'll try plain debian, and if that doesn't work then I'm going to have to say that, without a doubt my problem is hardware based...

I've also noticed a tendency for KDE to crash at random times, hopefully this reinstall and no unofficial sources will help.

Comment

have you tried an update to KDE354 after your install
        add this to your repositories list ...

deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest/ dapper main

Comment

Working...
        X