This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my DVD working.

I tried to download some picture files that I burned onto a dvd from a windows machine, yet I can't get it to open. My cd rom did ok to load Kubuntu, however when I look at Sys. Settings - Disk & Filesystems this is what I get.

Disk ATA ( thats fine)
    |
    System
    |
    Optical disk HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B (mount point) None, /dev/hdb
    |
    Optical disk Plextor CD-R PX-W5224A (mount point) /media/cdrom0 auto, /dev/hda Disabled.
    Where can I get info on getting the DVD working and to enable the cdrom.

Re: Getting my DVD working.

What you have to do is:
    1) Make a "mount point" for the dvd reader. I suggest /media/dvd or something equally imaginative.
    2) Add the follwing line to your /etc/fstab file
    Code:
    /dev/hdb<tab>/media/dvd<tab>udf,iso9660<tab>user,noauto<tab>0<tab>0
    where <tab>means hit the tab key.

Then, to read a dvd:
    1) Insert the DVD
    2) in a konsole type "mount /media/dvd"
    3) Navigate to the /media/dvd folder in Konq.
    You may not have to do all this because Kubuntu is supposed to do it autmagically, but it dosen't hurt to learn how.

When you're finished with the DVD:
    1) in a konsole type "umount /media/dvd" Notice the absence of the first 'n' in "umount".
    2) remove the DVD

Comment

I will give that a go. I have been doing some further trouble shooting and found that the dvd will read video dvd's and jpeg cd's. It just has a problem with jpegs.

Now with my issue I was wondering if it could be a bad batch of dvds.?

Coming from Libranet (which was a great distro) I am finding Kubuntu to be a really polished distro. Now some may disagree on this point, however from my point of view as a relative newbie, its doing all that I want, and the support, (forums, howtos are well layed out). I know this is off topic, I just wanted to make this observation.
      Many thanks.

Comment

I got it all working fine now. It appears that windows burner was the problem. I used a third party burner (nero) and that works fine.

Comment

Working...
        X