This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which installation to choose?

I just bought a new Intel D840 box to replace my existing Windows internet server (web, java app server, mail, etc), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to install it. I've been running Kubuntu on my laptop for a little under a year now, so while I'm no guru, I'm certainly not a neophyte.
    My thinking is that I need to install the 64bit version, but I'm thinking that I'd like to put KDE on there for ease of use as I'm getting it up and running and for future configuration. However, I wouldn't want KDE running full-time--just when I'm actually logged into the box and working on it.
    So do I install Kubuntu, and then (somehow) turn off the KDE Desktop from automaticaly starting? Or do I install Ubuntu Server and then add KDE later?
    Thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

Re: Which installation to choose?

Not sure what's best for you really, but if you do decide to install kubuntu, stopping kde from starting should be as simple as:

sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm

(you'll still be able to start it from the console login with 'startx', or reenable the KDE on bootup with 'sudo ln -s ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm' )

Comment

Working...
    X