This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: triple boot

One more thing: Why is there this additional hierarchy in my partitioning (number 3 has some "sub"-partitions)? Is this something bad, does it matter?
    Best regards...Cliowa

Comment

OK - looks like we found your mandrake Kernel - its in the trash . You would need to reinstall it. I guess you could remount your hde7 partition, take it out of trash and put it back in the boot partition and then add the commands to Grub but really, I think you need the Mandrake board for that - its not something I've ever tried. If it were me, I would delete all the Mandriva partitions to clean up your partition table and then reinstall it

Regarding the chainloading, Its something you can do if you have another boot manager - I'm not sure of the specific advantages in this case

There is a limit to the number of primary partitions you can have on a single drive (4 I think) therefore you put them inside extended partitions so you can increase the number as each extended partition can house the same number of primary partitions - its a good thing.

I use the same swap for each distro - but FC5 always complains it can't access it - not sure its a good idea

Comment

Alright, then I'll have to reinstall the whole thing. Thanks alot for your advice. Do you think it's a good idea to clean up the partition table right from within qtparted, so that I don't have to wander around in fancy menus while installing?
        If I let Mandriva install it's bootmanager on the partition, will I still be able to select it, even whilst having grub in MBR?
        Even if I clean up my partition table, my current kubuntu partition will still be "one level below" (in the graphic) than windows. Is that a problem?
        Can I somehow rearrange my partitions, so that ubuntu isn't anymore right in the very middle of the disc, but somehow at the beginning and the rest then follows?

One more thing: Can you recommend Fedora Core 5? In your opinion: What are its strenghts?
        Best regards and thanks again...Cliowa

Comment

I would download the Gparted live CD

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

And clean up your partitions from there. I don't think you can move partitions backwards with this tool but I could be wrong. You may need to delete everything below windows to really clean things up - its up to you but the positions shouldn't matter ultimately. Yes - install Mandriva's grub onto the /partition and tell the menu.list in Kubuntu where to boot Mandriva (Its where we started this thread after all)

FC5 is a fine distro, but you have to ask yourself why you want to triple boot. I do it because I use Kubuntu as the "best" KDE based Distro and FC5 as an example of one of the best Gnome based distro's. Kubuntu uses the apt-get package manager, FC5 uses RPM. I have zenwalk as well because it is very fast, is Slackware based (tgz packages) and uses the Xubuntu desktop so I get to play in all these sandboxes! If you have Kubuntu - you don't "need" FC5, but you might want it. As you are finding multibooting this way can complicate your life a little If you want to play around in a different distro to Kubuntu to compare/contrast FC5 is a good one to try.

Comment

Working...
          X