Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows wrote over grub MBR install. How-to redo grub?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows wrote over grub MBR install. How-to redo grub?

Hi!
    My brother has a computer that is (or at this point, was) a dual-boot winxp and kubuntu system (same as mine). Unfortunately, he had to reinstall windows (SURPRIZE!! SHOCK!! can you tell i don't care for windows?).
    During the reinstallation of windows, despite having specifically requested it not to, it rewrote the master boot record of his primary IDE disk. GRUB was installed on this disk on the MBR.
    So now the disk consists of a windows partition and a linux partition, but it can't boot to linux.

BASICALLY -- how do you put GRUB back onto the master boot record, knowing that everything else is intact as it was at the original installation?

Thanks!

SYSTEM INFO that i think is related to the issue at hand:
    -HD = IDE, /dev/hda1 = windows, /dev/hda2 = linux, /dev/hda3 = linux-swap
    -Kubuntu install still intact on /dev/hda2. The only thing missing is the MBR for GRUB.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

Re: Windows wrote over grub MBR install. How-to redo grub?

Maybe this helps:

HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up)
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php?title=Restore_Grub

Restoring GRUB (the GRand Unified Bootloader) is quite simple in Ubuntu; instead of going through all of the "gain root access" steps, and playing with confusing shell commands, you can simply use the Ubuntu installation CD (the alternate version if you use dapper) to restore it without going through all of the previous hassles....
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X