X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kernel 2.6.17.7

All,

I installed Kubuntu 6.06 Drapper Drake from the .iso file I downloaded from the Kubuntu website.
    Installation went smooth and the system is running fine.

I'm currently studying a book about kernel modules (I'm quite new in this matter) and one of the exercises was to download a recent kernel from kernel.org and start to recompile the kernel. I downloaded the latest kernel release: 2.6.17.7.

To get the compilation go through took me some time, but in the end I was able to compile both kernel and modules.

Installing the modules was no problem too, everything seemed to work fine.

But when I tried to do a make install for the kernel, I got the following warning:

Code:
    geertvc@kubuntudt606:/usr/src/linux$ sudo make install
    sh /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.7/arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map "/boot"
    /usr/sbin/mkboot: line 20: [: proc: unary operator expected
    In order to use the new kernel image you have just installed, you
    will need to reboot the machine. First, however, you will need to
    either make a bootable floppy diskette, re-run LILO, or have GRUB
    installed.

Checking for ELILO...No

GRUB is installed. To automatically switch to new kernels, point your
    default entry in menu.lst to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL
    What is wrong with the syntax in line 20 of the script /usr/sbin/mkboot? I'm not an expert in scripting yet, so this is Latin to me...

Since GRUB is used on my system, I did what was asked here above and I've changed the file 'menu.lst', needed by GRUB when starting up the kernel.

I've added the following lines in front of the original first section (like this, my section became the default selection):

Code:
    ## ## End Default Options ##

title      Kubuntu, kernel 2.6.17.7 (GVCKERNEL)
    color      magenta/blue black/magenta
    root      (hd0,0)
    kernel     /vmlinuz-2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
    initrd     /initrd.img-2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL
    savedefault
    boot
    As you can see, I've also created an initrd.img file, using the following command (mkinitrd is not available on Kubuntu 6.06 apparently...):

Code:
    mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL 2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL
    This command was executed from within the /usr/src/linux directory.

The result was indeed a file called initrd.img-2.6.17.7_GVCKERNEL, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Can someone confirm this?

Next to this, I did a reboot of the system.

Rebooting went fine, but I didn't see the graphical Kubuntu loading session anymore. The screen remained black for the whole startup session (the time needed to boot up the kernel and to launch KDE), but at the end I got the graphical login view of KDE again.

Also, when rebooting the new kernel, I don't see the graphical Kubuntu shutdown session, again only a black screen.

So, once the kernel is up and running, I get Kubuntu working fine and I have the correct kernel loaded too (so, mine). Checked via "uname -r".

But why do I not have the graphical startup and shutdown session and is my screen remaining black for that period? Has this something to do with the "make install" that failed because of the error in the file /usr/sbin/mkboot? Or is it because my initrd.img file is created wrongly?
    Or because of some other reason?

Any help much appreciated.

Best rgds,

--Geert

Re: New kernel 2.6.17.7

the reason you have a blank screen is you have 'splash' in your grub kernel line..but i bet you didnt compile bootsplash into the kernel so remove the 'spash' and you will get a normal bootup sequence IE the kernel spewing out all its normal stuff

Comment

You don't need to compile bootsplash into the kernel, as (K)ubuntu has a userspace application, Usplash, that controls splash screens during boot. I had the same problem when compiling a new kernel..you just need to make sure that the proper settings are checked in your .config file. I found this in one of the threads on the ubuntu forums:

To get usplash you need to make sure you enable this in the config:

Graphics support:
      -VGA 16-color graphics support - module (m)
      -VESA VGA graphics support - build in kernel (y)

Console display driver support:
      -VGA text console and Video mode selection support- build in kernel (y)
      -MDA text console-module (m)
      -Framebuffer Console and Framebuffer Console Rotation support-build in kernel (y)

Usplash is working for me...although the resolution is a little wonky.

Hope this helps!

-matt

Comment

Originally posted by machoo02
        You don't need to compile bootsplash into the kernel, as (K)ubuntu has a userspace application, Usplash, that controls splash screens during boot. I had the same problem when compiling a new kernel..you just need to make sure that the proper settings are checked in your .config file. I found this in one of the threads on the ubuntu forums:

To get usplash you need to make sure you enable this in the config:

Graphics support:
        -VGA 16-color graphics support - module (m)
        -VESA VGA graphics support - build in kernel (y)

Console display driver support:
        -VGA text console and Video mode selection support- build in kernel (y)
        -MDA text console-module (m)
        -Framebuffer Console and Framebuffer Console Rotation support-build in kernel (y)

Usplash is working for me...although the resolution is a little wonky.

Hope this helps!

-matt
        Hi Matt,

That's just great! Works for me too...

I was afraid that also the initrd.img image would be wrong since I had to use mkinitramfs iso mkinitrd to create the images, but apparently this is fine too.

Again, thanks for the useful tips!

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Hi all....

I am new and wanted to know where to find information of like compiling and installing new kernel for kubuntu..

Thanks...

Luis

Comment

There is a good HowTo over in the ubuntu forums:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217657

and another one at:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation_Dapper

Good Luck!!

-m

Comment

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation_Dapper

I followed the instructions above this afternoon and successfully compiled a new kernel on both my Toshiba and my Compaq laptops, both running Kubuntu.

Hey! If I can do it, you can do it!

Comment

Working...
              X