This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Install X Server error

Sorry in advance for the long post, I am new to Linux but have done Windows IT in the past.

I am trying to install Kubuntu on my internet system and it either gets past the screen where it checks you system and to the second Kubuntu status bar and stops. Or if I boot up in safe graphics mode I get a over range error from my monitor (on any aspect setting) and then I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

In case this may shed some light, if I put in a Ubuntu or Xubuntu cd it gets past the checking and Configuring X server says OK but then it give me :

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface) It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

I click yes and it tells me X window system 7.0 released 12/21/05, os 2.6.12 i686, os 2.6.15
    Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
    Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

if I hit okay here it takes my to a prompt: ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I checked the link it gave me http://wiki.x.org and the only thing that shed some light was a link to GATOS drivers for ATI all in wonder cards.

For some insight into my system it runs Windows XP on a 12 gig HD and 2.02 Puppy Linux on a separate 10 gig HD fine.

512 ram
    800 mHz AMD athlon
    52x CD burner
    floppy drive
    ATI all in wonder I bought in 1999 (I think its 64 meg memory)

If I do need the GATOS drivers how do I install them before I install the OS?

I think this system should be able to handle Kubuntu or Xubuntu since my older 500 mhz celeron with on mobo graphics card and 256 ram easily installed both.

Thanks in advance for you time and help.

Re: Kubuntu Install X Server error

Hi,

From the console you're dropping in, can you type startx ? And give the error message you get ?
    Maybe also give the error you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X