This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems at login screen

I have Dapper 6.06 and after a reboot yesterday, I can no longer log in.

At the login screen, I put in my user & password and it seems to accept it, ie no errors, but the screen goes black then returns to the login screen after a few seconds.

I can use my login details to start a console login but nothing else........

I assume KDE is broken! But how do I fix it??

thanks

D.

Re: problems at login screen

Start your computer in Recovery Mode. After you login, give the command "startkde". That way, you'll get one or more error messages that may help to isolate the problem.

Comment

Hi thanks for posting.

here are the results when I start in console mode (the only mode I can log in with) and type startkde;

xsetroot: unable to open display ''
      xset: unable to open display ""
      xsetroot: unable to open display ''
      startkde: Starting up...
      ksplash: cannot connect to X server
      kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY not set
      Warning connect() failed: : No such file or directory
      ksmserver: cannot connect to x server
      ERROR: couldn't attach to DCOP server!
      startkde: Shutting down...
      Warning connect() failed: : No such file or directory
      ERROR: Can't contact kdeinit!
      startkde: Runnnig shutdown scripts...
      startkde: Done.

Thanks to anyone who can help........

D.

PS I tried in failsafe mode and it came up with an error in the Konsole box but it closes that far too quickly for me too see what it says.

EDIT: after a bit of retrying, it pops up the following in Konsole when in failsafe mode;

invalid or uninitialized input device 166
      0x0

Comment

I suspect that you have problems in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. When you get a recovery mode login run the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I would help if you know the acceptable range of horizontal sync frequencies and vertical refresh rates for your monitor before starting. You should also know the pixel size (#horiz x #vertical) for your monitor if it's a flat panel.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          I suspect that you have problems in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. When you get a recovery mode login run the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I would help if you know the acceptable range of horizontal sync frequencies and vertical refresh rates for your monitor before starting. You should also know the pixel size (#horiz x #vertical) for your monitor if it's a flat panel.
          No, xorg is working or he wouldn't get the login screen, and startkde 'appears' to be working almost.
          Try checking the session you are trying to start when you login to X
          Also
          Code:
          startx & sleep 10; startkde
          or
          Code:
          grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
          may give you some more useful errors.

I'd also try moving the .kde folder from a console, just in case it's trying to set an invalid screenmode or something
          Code:
          mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.backup

Comment

Cheers guys

I noticed a similar situation someone else was in and follwed the advice on that topic.

Seemed to do the trick.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7402.0

D.

PS I meant to add - I'm using onboard ATI 200 graphics and a flat panel at 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.

Now I think Kubuntu is set up to use the Vesa driver at the correct rez and frequency. I couldn't get the ATI driver to increase rez at all.

Any ideas why?

Ta!

Comment

@deksawyer: Glad you got going. Thanks for searching the forums to find your answer.

@Teppic: I'd hardly call "xsetroot: unable to open display" an indication of a working xserver, and, indeed, the OP solved his problem by going to the vesa driver. Ergo, problem in xserver.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                @Teppic: I'd hardly call "xsetroot: unable to open display" an indication of a working xserver, and, indeed, the OP solved his problem by going to the vesa driver. Ergo, problem in xserver.
                My fault for assuming that 'login screen' meant x|g|kdm as opposed to console login, and it wouldn't be the first case of the startkde script failing to actually start X.

Comment

Working...
                X