X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, can't install kubuntu

hey ppl,

for the last 5 days now I'm trying to get Kubuntu installed op my acer laptop.
    I downloaded the 32-bit .iso, verified the md5, burned it to cd, put it in my drive and windows recognizes it. I could browse through the cd and had the nice autorun window.
    So I rebooted my laptop, with the cd in it and then, it goes straight to windows.
    It wasn't the first time I had that problem with burned cd's so i booted again, with the same result. again and again and again.

Then I thought... maybe I can install it over my lan, but since I don't have a floppy drive, i couldn't make a bootdisk.
    After a lot of searching and reading i found a way to install Kubuntu with PXE.
    So I setup a simpel windows server (DHCP, TFTP, PXE and BOOTP) with "Emboot network boot tools".
    I plugged in the utpcable and booted my laptop, this time with PXE.
    Then it happened, it worked, big moment of happyness.
    I configured some things and pointed out a server to download from.
    Then, when i was just about to sit down and relax cause it's installing.. it wouldn't download.
    After doing some research i think that my router is the problem.
    By being behind a router windows can't Share the internet connection.

I'm kinda stuck.
    I just wanted to run kubuntu with a dualboot environment, but i'm starting to think i just can't kinda weird

anyone can you help me pls...

Re: Help, can't install kubuntu

Hi,

Just a stupid question, did you allow boot from cd before hard disk in the bios ?

Cheers

Comment

yes offcourse.

but my drive isn't working properly, I got that same problem with other cd's/dvd's.

Comment

Hey there ive had the same porblem with my acer laptop, the only way i got around this is to remove the harddrive and use a cable converter and install from my home computer it seems that the CD drive just gives up at some point early in any OS install. Hope this helps

Comment

I think the problem you are getting here is that with installing a DHCP server on your windows machine (Required to boot PXE rom, I understand that) your laptop will only be connected to a LAN consiting of your laptop and windows box, **unless** your windows box has an alternate internet connection to 'share' with the laptop (which you said you didn't > )

If your router is up to the task, it may be able to provide pxelinux.0 from the windows tftp server, and continue the boot from there

OR

Sort out a bootable USBDrive and run the installer from there (Insert Ubuntu officianados comments here)

Or

Run the installer from windows (I think this is an option, but only have virtual windows machines so something I never investigated further)

Comment

Working...
          X