X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Error #8254 Timer not connected to IO-APIC

Hey,
    linux newbie here, and getting this error.

I get it over and over again. if i try boot commands , acpi= off, nolapic, pci=noacpi it usually boots to my current windows directory.
    I have free unpartitioned space already for installation.
    I put the cd in during startup, the menu comes up ill either try installing or using boot commands, it says uncompressing files arather, then the error.

I have athlon 64 3000+ winchester.
    1024ram
    A8r32-mvp deluxe Asus mobo
    windows xp
    Aopen cdrom, with two ata and and one sata. trying to install on ata, windows boots up on ata.

Using Kubuntu 6.06 normal install disc, downloading the alternative disc now to see if that makes a difference.

Any Help would much be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: HELP! Error #8254 Timer not connected to IO-APIC

Hi all,
    I am in about the same situation here.  I just got my new hardware out of the shipping box, got it all togeather and got the same error.
    I am using a new 250g sata 3.0g/sec hard drive, AMD 3500+, Asus A8R-MVP mobo, 512 Mb Ram, X1300 AIW video, and Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound.

I have tried numerous bios settings that didn't seem to help. 
    All it does is: Ask to install Kubuntu, state it is 'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel and the next line has a number and MP-Bios bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Any help you all could provide would be really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Comment

Alright,
      The APIC and ACPI are both under the power section of the BIOS. I don't remember what I set them at (I did a lot of changing all over the place!).....exactly. But, go in and change yours and it should boot right up!
      Good luck!
      Dan

Comment

I'm getting this same error:

[17179571.916000] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC"

I get this error when I try to run the boot/live CD. I see that Dan (millco) did something with his BIOS to fix it, but I don't know how to do that and I'm afraid I'll screw something up. Any suggestions?

Comment

I had the same error. It didn't cause any problems in dapper, but regularly crashed edgy at startup. For me, entering "noapic nolapic" (without quotes) at the end of the Kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst stopped the error messages.

Open konsole
          code: kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

Here is a sample menu.lst entry (you only need to edit the kernel line):

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-11-generic
          root (hd0,2)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash noapic nolapic
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic
          quiet
          savedefault
          boot

You can also edit the kernel line during bootup by pressing "e" when the grub menu appears. This is a one time only edit, but it will get your OS running so you can edit menu.lst

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have this same error and then my system boots in the shell!

I have Ubuntu 6.06 and i dont know how to edit files throught the shell....

Comment

i dont know how to edit files throught the shell
              You don't have to ... http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku.php/buntu_live

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Working...
              X