This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM Login too big

I screwed up again! This time, I don't know where I went wrong.

As I was going about adding and removing some KDM Themes, I ended up with a KDM Login that was too big. No, the resolution wasn't too big. What I mean is that the not everything fits into one the whole screen anymore. Usually, the box where I would type in the username and password is at the middle, and some icons are at the bottom for the Sessions and System options. Now, the login box is off to the right, and half of the icons go below the limit of the screen. And the funny thing is, if I move my mouse to the limits of the screen (down, right, up, left), the login screen adjusts so that I could still reach the icons.

Hope I'm being clear on that one. It's kinda hard to describe, and I can't seem to get screenshots to explain.

But it's still working in the same resolution (1024x768) except that the layout/placement of elements seems to be following a larger resolution (1280x1024 maybe?).

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: KDM Login too big

I figured out how-to do this when I replaced the kdm theme...

cd /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu

edit (as root) kubuntu.xml and change line 8 to use whatever horiz and vert size you need (preferably to match your login size determined from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Comment

Tried you're suggestion but it only made the background fit into the screen. Everything else didn't

I suddenly found a solution. It seems that xorg.conf contains some resolutions that I don't use. Removed those and now I'm back in business. Thanks for trying to help! I appreciate it!
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Dell M781p monitor, Nvidia NV18

I found the same xorg.conf. <date> file, and copied it to xorg.conf, but it didn't work. My loq on screen comes up in the correct resolution (1792x1344); then I log in and the screen goes black and then the 1024x768 screen appears showing KDE loading, and there's a black border around the screen. Here is the video portion of xorg.conf:

------------------------------------

Section "Device"
        Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
        Driver "nv"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "DELL M781p"
        Option "DPMS"
        EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
        Monitor "DELL M781p"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 1
        Modes "1792x1344" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        EndSubSection
        EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "Default Layout"
        Screen "Default Screen"
        InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
        EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
        EndSection

--------------------------------------------

Also, System settings -> Monitor & display, administrator mode, shows 1024x768. I move the slider to 1792x1344, hit "apply" and "keep". The screen does not reset and when I bring monitor & display settings up again it says 1024x768.

Then I tried

dave@alicia-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process
        dave@alicia-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process
        dave@alicia-desktop:~$

I looked at /var/cache/debconf/config.dat and don't see a lock file in that directory.

Back in xorg.conf, I deleted all the screen resolutions except the one I want (1792x1344) and restarted x; it rewrote the xorg.conf file, omitting 1792x1344.

It's ignoring me. How do I make it change to 1792x1344?

In faith, Dave
        dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net
        Viva Texas <><

Comment

Go Buckeyes!

OK, now that that is taken care of ....

Wow, you are doing things that I would be afraid to try with your xorg.conf -- probably you are more experienced with Linux than me. But, I would open a console, and give it a "sudo kcontrol" command, and then use that program to set the screen resolution that I wanted.

HTH

Comment

Boomer Sooner!!

I can't believe this: I opened kcontrol, clicked on Peripherals -> Monitor & display, and it jeeps sending me back to the Peripherals screen. It's spooky! I'll gratefully take any other suggestions?

In faith, Dave
            Viva Texas <><

Comment

Originally posted by dpeirce
              My loq on screen comes up in the correct resolution (1792x1344); then I log in and the screen goes black and then the 1024x768 screen appears showing KDE loading, and there's a black border around the screen.
              If your kdm (login screen) resolution is correct, you can try editing kde resolution manually by editing ~/.kde/share/config/displayconfigrc (adding the correct height and width values).

Comment

Thanks. Sorry for the delay responding but I've been out of town.

Re your suggestion, unfortunately I don't have a ~/.kde/share/config/displayconfigrc file. However, I saw on this forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2240006 that deleting this file solved a similar problem.

However, I HAVE solved my problem now. I ordered the Kubuntu edgy install CD and installed it today. I'm getting the correct resolution now and am able to change it as I wish. It must have been a problem with the way I upgraded: apt-get dist-upgrade from Dapper. I've always read that doing it that way causes problems and that a clean install is better. That has proved true in this case .

Thanks anyway.

In faith, Dave
                Viva Texas <><

Comment

Working...
                X