X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change boot time resolution?

Hello,

I have a fresh and clean installation of Dapper. I encountered some problems during my live cd installation attempts so I switched to the alternate cd and everything worked flawlessly.

Without getting bogged down into details, in addition to the installer crash, one of the problems with the live cd was that my monitor (LG L1915S) was somehow incompatible with the default VGA resolution. I've seen a few others on this forum complaining about same kind of problem too. My monitor kept saying "Out of range 36.2 kHz / 81Hz" until I realized that the resolution can be changed.

Anyway, I eventually managed to install Dapper successfully by using the alternate cd's text mode installation. Now the problem is, during the boot, my monitor still keeps saying the same "Out of range 36.2 kHz / 81Hz", but only until X starts. Afterwards everything is fine.

So my question is; is there any way to permanently change the bootup resolution like in the live cd?

- JP [c]

Re: How to change boot time resolution?

The problem was solved thanks to adament on ubuntuforums.org!

You have to change your boot options in /boot/grub/menu.lst. Change the vga= mode to one of those listed below.
    I managed to find the list below of different vga= modes:

res/col | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
    --------+-------------------------------------
    256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
    32K | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
    64K | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
    16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

Comment

Hi jpn

I have the same monitor and the same problem, when i add vga=0x319 to the menu.lst file the resolution gets better, I loss the progress bar and the Kubuntu logo heads off into the top left of the screen. The higher color number i use the further into the left corner it goes?

any help would be appreciated

gordon

Comment

Personally, I'd try "vga=normal". That often works. According to the specs, your monitor should be able to take 24 bit color. If you're still having trouble refer to this page for further advice.

Comment

Working...
        X