Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[C] Frustrated with Dapper - about to give up on Kubuntu (firefox crash)resolved

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[C] Frustrated with Dapper - about to give up on Kubuntu (firefox crash)resolved

I started off with Warty Ubuntu and have switched to Kubuntu and stuck with this distro ever since. Dapper has been a huge disappointment (translation more crashes than a demolition derby). First off I should say that the whole time I have had (K)ubuntu on a dual boot Win XP (home) system. So far I have:

1)tried to upgrade from breezy to dapper by just changing the repositories - the upgrade crashed in mid stream. I couldn't go back and I couldn't go forward - oh well format everything except the windows partitions and reinstall a clean dapper....

2) Then I have attempted 3 clean installs of dapper and 3 times the same result - the system crashes and forces me to log back in. The only things I do to the base install: is switch the network Interface to a static IP (for our home network) and install firefox 1.5.0.3 and each time I go and start firefox the system crashes and throws me out to the login screen. The problem does not seem to happen with konqueror - only in firefox. So I figure the problem does not rest in the network interface setup. The firefox was a clean install and all I have to do is click on maximize the firefox window and poof I am thrown out every time, I did not install any firefox plugins or firefox extensions. I had firefox 1.5.0.3 installed and working fine in breezy..... and still works fine in Windoes

3) Starting Firefox in safemode yields the following:
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device

(firefox-bin:7321): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:7321): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Any thought or ideas as to what is going on here before I switch to another Distro?

System:
    AMD Athlon 1400 XP
    ECS K7AMA MB
    512 MB DDR 2100
    Maxtor 40 G HD (hda1=12G fat32 hda2=13G fat32 hda3=14.5 ext3 hda4&hda5=0.5G Swap)
    ASUS (Nvidia2) V7100 64MB AGP GPU

Re: [C] Frustrated with Dapper - about to give up on Kubuntu (firefox crash)

dsquared,

You can try to delete the .mozilla folder in your user directory, then start Firefox again to see if it fixes the problem.

I don't have problem with Firefox in any flavor of *buntu so far.

Comment

Deleting the folder (profile) does not fix the problem. I have also tried to use Mozilla - but the same thing happens there.

I am pulling my hair out with this thing.  :-X

Comment

dsquared,

Just curious. Did you install from a Live Desktop or the alternate version?

I feel your pain! I have some issues with Kubuntu as well, both the Live Desktop and the alternate. For unknown reason, it won't let me plug in the external USB drive as regular user. No idea why. I don't feel like fooling around with it much. So, to solve the problem I install Ubuntu first, then kubuntu-desktop, then xubuntu-desktop. Since I want to have all 3 to play with from time to time. My prefer DE is KDE. I don't have problem with external USB in either Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Just Kubuntu. Strange, huh!

I hope you resolve your problem.

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu since the 5.04 release, and I hesitated on upgrading Breezy to Dapper. I did try to just the other night and I experienced major problems and eventually downloaded 6.06 and did a live cd install and everything has been above board. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble,but I would recommend downloading the new distro instead of the upgrading the old one.

Comment

Answer to IMQ: loaded from live desktop

In response to digital_k: everything was lost from my Breezy install so I formated the linux partitions and installed a clean fresh dapper.

I have also tried the install instructions on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion - only to end up with the same result..............

PS I am d/l suse as we speak 5 %^& CD's - grr

Comment

dsquared,

I know you are frustrated but if you feel inclined to give Kubuntu one last chance, try the alternate CD instead. Maybe it works better.

Comment

Re: [C] Kubuntu (firefox crash) - solved

Well I finally solved this problem! The solution lies in the configuration of GTK in a Kde environment. Apparently the 2 don't get along.
                FYI soloution is go: System Settings --> Personal --> Appearance --> GTK Styles and fonts --> go to GTK Styles box and select "Use another style" I chose "Raleigh" and it fixed the problem

Kickin' back and pourin' a cold beer!

Comment

Re: [C] Frustrated with Dapper - about to give up on Kubuntu (firefox crash)reso

Thank you dsquared. My firefox problems were application hanging following a clean install to dapper. Your fix has solved this. I have to say though, I'm having far more problems (of the annoying kind rather than really serious) to track down going to dapper than I ever had with breezy

Comment

Re: [C] Kubuntu (firefox crash) - solved

Originally posted by dsquared
                    Well I finally solved this problem! The solution lies in the configuration of GTK in a Kde environment. Apparently the 2 don't get along.
                    FYI soloution is go: System Settings --> Personal --> Appearance --> GTK Styles and fonts --> go to GTK Styles box and select "Use another style" I chose "Raleigh" and it fixed the problem

Kickin' back and pourin' a cold beer!
                    Thank you very much dsquared!
                    In my post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5850.0
                    I mentioned a similar problem and your fix seems to solve it!

Now (K)Ubuntu has to get to work on this issue...
                    After all I did a clean install.

Comment

Re: [C] Frustrated with Dapper - about to give up on Kubuntu (firefox crash)reso

I tried this solution, and indeed ... it works. But using Raleigh is very ugly :-(. So I wanted to get back to QT ... But QT isn't in the list any longer :-(.

Is there a way to get it back?

Comment

Working...
                      X