X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Dapper Drake 6.0.6 On a Dell

Hi Everyone

Ive got a Dell Inspiron 1200 running winxp and Kubuntu 5.10. Ive tried installing the Live cd of 6.0.6 I get to the main KDE screen with the Install icon, and after clicking on the icon I manage to get to the prompt for setting up the local time, then the installation just closes and nothing happens.

Is there a fix for this ? Or would it be better to download and upgrade my whole system ? If anyone knows the Kubuntu commands to run in a terminal, then Id be a very happy kubuntu user.

Thanks

Re: Installing Dapper Drake 6.0.6 On a Dell

Hi,

I don't know about this bug... But what do you want to do ? Upgrade to dapper from breezy ?
    If yes, you can do the following :
    - open /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    -modify all breezy keyword by dapper
    - save the file
    - upgrade your system
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Just look out, it's close to be the final version, but it's still beta one...

Cheers

Comment

Re: Installing Dapper Drake 6.0.6 On a Dell

Personally, I think your best bet is to use Breezy for another 10 days until Dapper is released. It's not clear whether you're asking how to run Linux without the xserver, or how to start a KDE konsole terminal session so I'll describe both (with and without a working KDE login).

From a working KDE login: start konsole by clicking K>System (not System Settings or System Menu)>konsole, OR to start a console login, type Ctl-Alt-F1, then enter your username and password.

When you can't get to KDE: Start the system with the second line in the GRUB menu, ("Safe mode", "Rescue mode", or "Single user mode"). I can't remember what it's called. I haven't rebooted since early December. If you see the word "login:", type your user name, then your password when requested. If you see just a request for your password. Hit return, it's asking for the root password that you don't have.

Comment

Working...
      X