This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get into any previous accounts

One of our 6.06 machines started refusing us to log into any of the previously set up accounts. We get the log in screen, can type user name and password then it starts setting this up but comes back asking for login information again. This occurs for any account that previously worked. This problem started happening when we were installing some new applications from Adept.
    We can read a CD so it would be possible to run a live CD to repair something if we knew what to repair.

Thanks,

Ray

PS - we now have 25 6.06 machines up here in the mountains of Nepal at a school.

Re: Cannot get into any previous accounts

Can you boot into recovery mode?
    That will give you a root desktop and you can check / reassign your users.

Also which new applications did you install?

Were permissions changed? This sounds like a permission issue.

Are your /home folders on a separate partition? This is always good practice.

Edit:
    As an afterthought you may have a full root partition. Have a look at this:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;boardseen#new

and some other posts here on this forum. I remember this happening to me a long time ago.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Rayson
      *One of our 6.06 machines started refusing us to log into any of the previously set up accounts. We get the log in screen, can type user name and password then it starts setting this up but comes back asking for login information again.

* This occurs for any account that previously worked.

* This problem started happening when we were installing some new applications from Adept.
      Well, it seems to me that you have run out of diskspace.
      So first check your partitions for that using that Live CD you have.

Good luck.

ese

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion on running out of room. That is likely the problem. I have booted from the live CD but I cannot figure out how to mount the hard drive from a live CD. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you. Our power has been off here.

Ray

Comment

Well, if you have the Kubuntu LiveCd, you can mount your HD using the graphical method.
          you can browse the storage media using dolphin or
          at the left side of the KDE panel, there is an icon called "system menu" click it, then from the menu displayed click on "storage media", you will see all the partitions you have displayed along with its size. click all the disk partitions you want to check for and it will be automatically mounted.
          then open the terminal (konsole)
          type df -H
          you will then see all the mounted partitions and the disk space they used.

Hope it is clear for you.

ese

Comment

Thank you for the detailed help. At first I was using a 6.06 Live CD which does not automatically mount the hard drive. After running a 8.04 Live Disk, the hard drive mounted and we were able to delete some not needed user files and get the machine back in order.

Ray

Comment

glad to hear of your issue solved.

you can now mark your post solved.

if you need how to do that, here is what i have read.

... in response to a specific post/poster, just say "Thanks <poster's_name>"?

ese

Comment

Originally posted by Rayson
                We get the log in screen, can type user name and password then it starts setting this up but comes back asking for login information again.

Thanks,

Ray
                This just started happening to me after I tried upgrading to 9.04 (which failed, think it's the KDE 4 and old hardware). I can get a Gnome desktop in recovery mode, but I'm not sure about changing the password because I only have one user account, and I'm not actually getting a login failed, it just doesn't go anywhere.

I do have my home directory on a separate partition. Do you think 8.04 might be a better bet? Maybe KDE 4 is too 'cutting edge' for the poor old thing. The laptop is a 4 year old Averatec and I've been using Kubuntu 6.06 on it since I got it, just thought I'd go for an update.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Comment

Working...
                X