This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow speed

I have recently installed Kubuntu for the first time.
    All has gone well except the speed is poor.
    It takes several minutes to initiate and general performance is very slow.

I have Mandriva installed and that is acceptably fast.

I notice that Klipper is using 20% of user CPU time constantly.

I have 1GB of memory and Mandriva performed much like Kubuntu until a 1GB kernel was substituted.
    Could the problem be similar?

Suggestions or solutions please

Thanks

johnfw

Re: Slow speed

Welcome to Kubuntu! As refugee from Mandrake, myself, I think you'll like this a lot better, once you get over the teething problems of a new setup.

Did you learn that Klipper was sopping up your CPU from the top command? I don't even see Klipper in top, so this is definitely no normal. When I run "ps af |grep klipper", it shows klipper using no time at all.

You can stop it with "kill -9 {pid of klipper from "top" or "ps af"}. Does that improve the responsive of your system?

Comment

I have a vary similar problem, didn't happen with breezy but with dapper everything crawls in KDE... seems like a graphics configuration problem for me I think. I'm doing another "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" since their are still packages that didn't install, hopefully this will fix it.

Comment

As I said above, the best way to find out what's takeing time is "top" from a konsole. However, Xorg is the second busiest process on my Breezy box. I suspect that if I weren't listening to music, it would be first. Even so, Xorg takes only a few percent of my cpu. If you have a reasonably fast processor, and Xorg is still taking a lot of time, see what you can do about the graphics.

Comment

I also ran into this situation on first daper install. Have not dug into it yet as I wanted to test other distros along with kubuntu. I know x is dirt slow, glxgears nearly locked me out of the system. The thing is, the video card has 128mb on it, and it's a new intel computer . . I will probably do another daper install later today. Once finished, i'll pipe top into a text file from time to time to learn what's chewing up the processor.

Regards,
          --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
          X