X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [c]Can't boot XP after Kubuntu install

Thanks for all the help but...

Whatever I did completely screwed up the drive, the windows partition no longer recognisable as such by anything (windows, Gparted etc), new install Kubuntu attempt failed, GRUB error trying to install in hd0 (sorry missed the actual error number).

So data all lost, I started again, deleted all partitions (using my other windows install) and re-installed windows from scratch.

To answer some of the above questions.
    Completely virgin install of Kubuntu (dual boot never worked).
    Before Kubuntu install 3 primary partitions, all windows, windows installed in 1st, windows swop in 2nd, data in 3rd. When installing Kubuntu I deleted the 3rd partition, created a linux swop partition and then a linux partition and installed.

I will post a new thread under 7.10 (where this should have been) before I attempt to install Kubuntu again, I need to find some sort of explanation or safe process before I try again, can't afford all the grief.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: [c]Can't boot XP after Kubuntu install

OK, so if you are starting from scratch, then

Use
      sudo fdisk -lu
      to get a clear picture of the partitions, and confirm the “rules of partitioning” are in place.

Partitioning first
      Do any partitioning you need to do using GParted Live CD --
      set up partitions for Kubuntu, including root, home, and swap.

Always install Windows first, then Linux
      (Reason: Windows does not play well with Linux; Linux plays very well with Windows.)

To dual-boot Windows and Kubuntu using GRUB as the bootloader will mean that you must have the Kubuntu installer put GRUB in the MBR of the hard drive. To do that, you can use either the Alternate Installer or the regular live CD Kubuntu Desktop installer.

If you use the regular live CD Kubuntu Desktop installer:

In Step 4, select “Manual” (for the partitioning method).
      In Step 6, click Advanced button at lower right.
      That's where you tell the installer where you want GRUB:
      With one hard drive, as you have here, that would be
      (hd0)
      (which I think is the defualt).
      Back to Step 6, click Finish and it will install.

How To Partition, Rog131:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X