X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope someone can help me...

Hello everyone,

I am a fairly new linux user, I switched from Windows to Linux last year, I have had no problems at all with Kubuntu (installed Breezy last year), until the other day.....

I know I did something stupid, I did a dist-upgrade to dapper. Everything seemed to go fine, the install wasn't halted, or anything, I let it run (it took a while, downloading a lot of files) and then when it stopped, I rebooted my computer.

At first, in the grub menu, I chose the new kernel listed, and it came to a busybox screen that said that my /dev/hda2 didn't exist. This is the partition that has linux on it. I rebooted again, and chose an older kernel, and it got me to the console login. I still had internet access, so, I tried to do a sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade, and it downloaded some more files, and installed them. So, I tried to start KDE, sudo startkde

It said that it couldn't open my display and that it couldn't connect to the X server. So, I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and still the same thing.

I really don't want to lose anything, is there anyway to put Breezy back on without losing my files? Or fix Dapper?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad

Re: Hope someone can help me...

Hi,

I'm not sure it will work, but in your place I would have to choice :
    - or I need a working computer now, I'm replacing all dapper keyword by breezy again in the /etc/apt/sources.list and typing again apt-get dist-upgrade, it should take back all breezy packages and reinstall it well (not sure but worth the try because it's base of apt-get )
    - or I can wait with a console mode computer and I'm just connecting every day and apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade wishing that the xserver will recognize the screen...

If you want help to fix it, you can still tell use what dapper is telling you when you're logging in console mode and typing startx.

By the way, it's true that dapper is not yet done for every body... You had the bad luck of showing it

Hope it will be ok

Comment

Re: Hope someone can help me...

Hello,

Everything has been working just fine now since I re-installed then reconfigured the x server. I was able to get into console mode, then do:

sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It took a few trys, got through the new files to be installed, and then could boot the computer into colsole mode and had to delete the .ICEAuthority file and that got me back into KDE. I have been happily using and testing Dapper now for about 2 or 3 weeks with no problems so far.

Thanks for your input though.

Comment

Working...
      X