X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Lost Windows XP after nstallng Kubuntu

I re-read the thread this morning. Comments:

-- Bruno, you figured out correctly that Windows is on (hd0,1) (not on (hd0,0), and that is what, apparently, confused GRUB and Super Grub. Usually, if Windows is on the first hard drive (hd0), then we expect it to be on the first partition, i.e., on (hd0,0). (In reality, Windows XP can be anywhere on your system.)

-- Here's how to manually chainload Windows. (I said something about this that was incorrect in two posts above. This morning I deleted what I said. Here's the proper method.) You might want to do this (1) To learn more about having control over your PC!, and (2) To see if your understanding of the Windows partition is correct; i.e., to see if everything works as the theory says it should work.

When you turn on the PC, you said you do get a boot menu (whether it is fixed or broken does not matter for this exercise).
    Quickly (before the timeout expires), at the boot menu, press the "c" key on the keyboard.
    That gives you a GRUB prompt, grub>.
    At that prompt, try to chainload Windows:
    grub> rootnoverify (hd0,1) # Note the space after the word "rootnoverify"
    grub> makeactive # I do not think this is necessary(?)
    grub> chainloader +1 # Note the space after the word "chainloader"
    boot

(Anything after the # sign is a comment and is ignored by GRUB. You do not have to type the comments.)

I feel fairly certain that will get you into Windows.
    I'd love to know! (If you feel you have the time and interest.)

Thanks.
    --Mike
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You will most likely have your Windows recovery Cd's in a separate hard drive partition. On the last 3 computers I got they were on drive D:\

It has an .exe file there which will burn the Cd's for you. A warning - once you burn the Cd's all the files erase themselves, so use good Cd's, not cheap ones.

If you use the recovery CD it will set your computer back to the state it was in when you first got it. In other words it will repartition and format the drive wiping out your Kubuntu install and any Windows software you installed along the way.

Comment

No. His Kubuntu is on a second hard drive.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X