Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blinking cursor on boot (toshiba satellite a15) (alt+f1 does not work)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blinking cursor on boot (toshiba satellite a15) (alt+f1 does not work)

You didn't see anything like "Press 'Esc' to enter the menu . . ."?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

only the blinking cursor in the top left.

Comment

Ugh! Alright, would you be against doing a reinstall?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

There are several "VGA=" boot options -- I'm not the expert, because I don't need them. But if you search the fora, you will see "vga-791" (I think) and one or two others. These go at the end of the kernel boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. It might be the case that one of those options will get you past the problem.

There is also a "nosplash=y" option that appears to help some folks get past an incompatibility with the splash screen resolution.

HTH.

Comment

Not sure what went wrong here, I did a reinstall of Feisty Fawn using the special boot with vga options. Everything except my pcmcia networking card is working properly.

Comment

Cool! Well, sometimes you don't know why things just work ....

Comment

It seems like every OS I've ever installed/reinstalled has had it's own personality, well, at least until after I've done some extensive customizing to get it to run the way I want. Strange . . .

Edit: Hey dibl, I'm gaining on you. You now only have about 1000% the number of posts I do (unless my math is wrong)
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

You hang in there, Integr8e -- it gets easier after the first 1,500.

Comment

Working...
                  X