This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked files

Kubuntu is my first venture into Linux and I just don't understand what's happening here.

I have read the manual and a lot of posts on the forum but I can't find this one.

I wanted to uncomment some of the lines on "sources.list" and read that I just needed to use the right click and "edit as root". However, like many of the files on my system, sources.list has a padlock and the permissions say "forbidden, forbidden and forbidden" also, there is no "edit as root" in the right click list [I do have it on the files without padlocks though]. Owner is shown as "root-root" but I can't get at it [or the others].

Any help on this one please?

Re: Locked files

Do you have Adept/Synaptic on. They lock sources.list when they are on.

Earlier:
    Topic: Adept Database locked... (Read 2619 times)
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=6088.0

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi Rog131, no, the adept was off, but I have found an answer so I'm answering my own post for the sake of other new users.

I just found out about "kdesu konqueror" from the konsole..... typed that in and a box popped up asking for my password. Entered password and up kame konqueror. Navigated to sources.list and edited with no problem..... I put the permissions back as they should be at the same time, rather than all showing "forbidden".

All working now.

Comment

For editing config files that need root access you could you the run command if your not familiar with the command line.

Press ALT+F2 and the run command box will open.

In the box type: kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list

You will be asked for your password and then your sources.list will open up in the kate text editor as root so you can edit it. You can do this with any config file as long as you know the path.

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE BEFORE YOU EDIT IT!!!

eriefisher

~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
        X