Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu CD worked once now I can't boot from it???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu CD worked once now I can't boot from it???

OK, here's my story. I downloaded Kubuntu 7.04 (live CD) and burned the image onto a CD with Nero. I know that the CD is good because I put it in my laptop once, rebooted and it booted up fine. I have also used it on my desktop at work to play with it. Anyway, I played around for a little with Kubuntu on my laptop and was pretty happy with what I saw so I decided that I'd like to install it on my laptop. I shut down my laptop and put it away. Two days later I put the CD in and then rebooted and NOTHING! For some reason my laptop will not boot to the CD. I have gone into the BIOS and confirmed that the CD/DVD drive is first on the list to boot from. What I want to know is; is there any such thing as a Kubuntu.exe installer? How can I install from the files on the CD if there is no executable? I really want to give this OS a chance but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer for the everyday average Windows XP user........... or maybe I just haven't searched hard enough.............. some one help me!.........

Also, I have the alternate CD now too and my laptop does not boot from that CD either. So please don't tell me to get the alternate CD....... LOL

DD

Re: Kubuntu CD worked once now I can't boot from it

The BIOS boot settings must reflect the CD/DVD as the first/top item in the boot order. If that is actually set, the you PC should boot from the LiveCD. Verify that the LiveCD is still good by trying it on another PC. If it boots there, then something is amiss with your PC.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, I know it works on other computers and I also am VERY familiar with XP, so I know that the BIOS was set right. Must be something weird going on. Anyway I made the leap and just pulled the HD, reset the CEMOS and then installed a new HD (one of my spares). Then I installed Kubuntu. But now I'm in a totally new world here. I really want to use Firefox and Trillian but can't seem to figure out how to install these .TAR files. Every single thing I find on line directs me to typing in code............... but when I do it I get "can't find" messages. Are there any SIMPLE directions to install software? Provided you download the proper versions for Linux type operating systems? Please help! I really want to learn to use this but so far I'm being turned off by the whole thing.

DD

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDag21

I really want to use Firefox and Trillian but can't seem to figure out how to install these .TAR files.
        OK, here's a huge tip for the new user -- DON'T download .tar files to get your application software!

(One of these days, after you're experienced, you might want to try it, but not now.)

Kubuntu is a Debian Linux, and uses "packaged" software applications. We call 'em "packages". There are over 22,000 of then in the standard "repositories" -- the online sites where released packages are made available for your system. In your Kubuntu Linux system is something called the "Debian Package Manager", aka "dpkg". There are 2 main front-end GUIs for dpkg, Adept Manager and Synaptic. You got Adept by default with Kubuntu. So, click your KMenu, then System, then Adept Manager. Adept will require you to enter your Super User password, and then it will open and you can get Firefox by marking it and then clicking "Apply". That's how you get packages. I dunno about Trillian -- if it is important, and there is no KDE equivalent in the repos, probably we can walk you through a manual installation, but if you just download this and that from the Internet and attempt to install it, you're likely to bork up your system in the process.

Comment

Working...
        X