This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revive old hardware

Well I just finished installing Dapper on an old Dell OptiPlex GXa with an Intel 266 processor and 96mb of ram. I had to do a server install and then load kubuntu-desktop onto it. I could not get ANY live disc to load up and thought I was done.

It's a little slow but it all works quite well. This box was one of two put roadside by someone in my area. It had Win95 on it with all of there personal stuff(pictures,email,etc) I couldn't believe it.

I now have to find someone to give it to. Get them started on Linux

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Re: Revive old hardware

Good work,

A fixer-upper like that is easy to set up because you can easily find some free / cheap 17" CRTs. I went to the recycle center to sell aluminum cans and could not believe the large pallets full of 17" & 19" CRTs. Most probably working units.

Make you wonder how much school systems could save by keeping the old computers they have and loading them with Linux.

BTW: Have you considered offering the computer to rescue mission / homeless center ? Great way to get people some computer skills for job training.
    Kubuntu 9.04 - Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz DP&nbsp; / 3.0GB RAM / 160GB HD / 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT <br /><br />Debian 5.03 - iMac G3 400 MHz / 512MB RAM / 40 GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128 Pro<br /><br />Mac OS X 10.4.11 - Powerbook G3 400 MHz / 512MB / 40GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128

Comment

Working...
    X