This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screen while booting

When I was using the LiveCD of Kubuntu, while booting, it used to show me messages the boot process e.g. loading kernel, preparing drivers, etc.
    However, after installing kubuntu on the computer, all these messages have stopped showing. Only a blank screen comes up and stays for a long time until the KDM login screen shows. Is there anything that I can do to change this?

I am using a PIV 1.5 ghz, 386 MB Ram, Intel onboard gpu, and dual booting with Windows XP Pro SP2 using Grub
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: Blank screen while booting

Navigate to /boot/grub/menu.lst right click ->actions->edit as root-> go to the line with your Kubuntu boot command and delete quiet and if you don't want the loading bar delete splash as well. I would try the first then see if you like that.

Deleting splash as well will give you a black backround and a listing of all boot procceses.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the tip Fintan
      Will this work for Feisty also? Actually this query was for Feisty, but I erroneously put it here. Dont know how to change the category of the topic.
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

In a word: yes and your welcome.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by mistrynitesh
          but I erroneously put it here. Dont know how to change the category of the topic.
          Once you have posted to a particular forum area, you can't magically have it moved (that I am aware of) to another location. As the originator of the post, you can however, copy the contents, then delete your post, and repost it to the proper area within the forum.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Once you have posted to a particular forum area, you can't magically have it moved (that I am aware of) to another location. As the originator of the post, you can however, copy the contents, then delete your post, and repost it to the proper area within the forum.
            thanks Snowhog!

Originally posted by Fintan
            Navigate to /boot/grub/menu.lst right click ->actions->edit as root-> go to the line with your Kubuntu boot command and delete quiet and if you don't want the loading bar delete splash as well. I would try the first then see if you like that.

Deleting splash as well will give you a black backround and a listing of all boot procceses.
            Tried the first and then both but doesn't work. Also tried deleting similar lines from grub menu at the time of booting itself. But to no avail. The same blank screen shows up for a long time and then directly the login screen

Comment

Working...
            X