This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAN'T INSTALL - KERNEL PANIC

Trying to install 6.06 on my HP a1106n as a dual boot with pre-existing Win XP SP2.
    P4 2.93
    512MB
    160GB
    Nvidia GE Force FX 5500 256MB

I see the Kubuntu logo with the sliding blue bar, then I usually get a kernel panic or the dvd stops spinning and the monitor goes blank.

[c]
    Using a Ship-It disc...installed same disc on other machines with no problem.
    Memory test passed.
    Tried installing Freespire 1.0, Mepis 2.?, Fedora 6, Suse 10.1...all with similar results. All failed.
    Have tried the 'alternative' install options (no apci, etc.).
    LiveCD option doesn't work either.
    Tried it with all peripherals (except k,m) removed.

The only thing I know of that might be an issue is that I recently downloaded a patch to reset the region of the dvd. But since then I've read/burned discs and watched dvd's without any problems.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: CAN'T INSTALL - KERNEL PANIC

Is it possible to boot in rescue mode and get a dmesg or lspci? What about typing the last item loaded when the kernel panic message comes up? Is this an HT machine? Is Plug and Play Bios enabled or disabled in Setup? I am going to need a little more info.

Comment

ooo...i hav the same prob....wen i tried 2 use the live cd option this thing cam up

uncompressing linux........... ok booting the kernel.
      [4294669.465000] kernel panic not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root
      fs on unk now block(1,0)
      [4294669.465000]

therz no prob wid the cd as my fren has installed from the same cd....i badly need kubuntu.... plz help.....

Comment

have you tried 7.04. 6.06 just might not be compatible with your machine.

Comment

Working...
        X