Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Kubuntu loads all modules, then freezes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Kubuntu loads all modules, then freezes.

Hi,

I have Kubuntu Dapper running on a little Dell subnotebook. Until yesterday, everything worked well. I was trying to find some tricks to save energy and max out my battery lifetime. What I can remember doing is, I deactivated "hiddenmenu" in the /boot/grub/menu.lst and removed some linux-image files in Synaptic - I left the one with the current kernel number and one just called "linux-image-386". Then I rebooted, the grub menu was somewhat shorter and everything worked all right. I turned down the backlight and to try if the system would remember the backlight setting, I restarted again - and from then on, I got the normal bootsplash, all the loaded modules - up to RAID, I think - and when that was complete, I got a black screen with the Xubuntu logo, a shadow of a progress bar and it stopped there.
    Does anybody have an idea what I could have messed up now? If I can't fix it, I'd have to install a new system from USB because the external CD-Rom I have isn't bootable.
    Thanks a lot!
    Regards,

runtime_error

Re: Kubuntu loads all modules, then freezes.

Originally posted by runtime_error
    I have Kubuntu Dapper running [...] I got a black screen with the Xubuntu logo
    Am I supposed to understand that

At first sight, this makes me think that you have mixed up at least two desktop managers (?).

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

no, actually it's not me who's mixed them up - there was Xubuntu Dapper on the system, I took Xfce off and installed KDE - according to my understanding of *ubuntu, it is Kubuntu now? However, for some reason, I still have the Xubuntu bootsplash.
      That might also have been the reason for my Gnome-KDM-issue, do you remember that one? You helped me solve it.
      Well, since I haven't got a backup-image like I have on my desktop, it'll be best if I just reinstall from USB. Then I can also make some more separate partitions to stabilize it and maybe I can install DSL parallely just to try it. Only, to that end I first have to learn how to make a bootable Kubuntu USB-stick. I won't make that before I leave for Germany on Thursday, but I can try when I get back.
      Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

it's been a few days until I actually found the time to further pursue this issue. I was planning to install a new Kubuntu version - probably Edgy like on the Desktop - from USB, but today I suddenly had the idea of looking into the notebook's BIOS to see if it's actually possible to boot from a USB device - and I'm afraid it's not. At least, there's no USB listed in the Boot order menu.
        I don't know if it could be possible nevertheless? If not, the problem has just acquired a new dimension: I can't boot from CD, either which leaves me a bit clueless. I'm not keen on swapping this notebook's HDD into another laptop to do the installation there because I don't have another laptop here in Ireland and I don't want to risk messing up one that's not mine.
        Maybe there's another possibility apart from a new install? The boot process runs okay, after all, it's only afterwards that the system freezes. I can still use the recovery mode, so I can access any configuration files to see where the error is. Do you have any tips for me as to where to look?
        Thanks a lot!
        Regards,

runtime_error

P.S.: The only thing I can think of myself - the last thing I remember doing before it went this way - is the linux-kernel-Images. I deleted a few of them, but I took care not to delete the kernel in the grub menu. However, with "which linux-image" or "whereis linux-image", the notebook doesn't tell me a thing...

Comment

However, with "which linux-image", the notebook doesn't tell me a thing...
          No image, no party :P therefore:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install linux-image-`uname -r` linux-image-generic
          Plan B: Debian 4.0 "Net Install"

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

that sounds relatively manageable - the problem is, I can only boot up the recovery mode without KDE and in order to run apt-get, I first need to establish my internet connection. It isn't recognized by default, ifconfig doesn't find a thing, so I'll have to do some reading first.
            Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

sorry, I always take a while until I eventually get things done.
              Turns out it's not so easy - after fiddling around a while - not actually making any changes that I was aware of, then doing a networking restart - my wireless network, which had been recognized, but inactive at startout, worked and I first updated all the repos.
              I ran into some difficulty with that install command: I don't need sudo because in recovery mode, I'm root anyway. What I can't work out is the part "uname -r". Firstly, as you can see, I don't have a clue where those single quotes are on a German keyboard. When I trie with "uname -r", the system tells me a package named uname wasn't found and when I actually replace it with my username, I'm told that the option r wasn't recognized.
              Can you help me out there?
              Many thanks!
              Regards,

runtime_error

P.S.: I still have the impression something's amiss - why do I still have the xubuntu Bootsplash? I just had a look at your plan B, for the worst of cases. Is there a similar possibility for Ubuntu?

Comment

The linux-image-386 should have the dependancies needed to keep the system intact. If you want better speedstep or cool 'n' quiet support, then you need to load the right image. My thought on the video, is that you have a bad setting for your monitor in the xorg.conf file. You could issue:

Code:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
                Also, grab the restricted modules for that image. I would try linux-image-686 (intel) or linux-image-k7 (amd).

Comment

What I can't work out is the part "uname -r".
                  Then why don't you just copy the code from my post to your konsole?

Plan B, for the worst of cases. Is there a similar possibility for Ubuntu?
                  Debian by default uses Gnome (for KDE and Xfce, respectively, there are separate images).

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

well, I haven't copied and pasted it yet - I typed it in, but I got it exactly like you have it in your post. The output was "Couldn't find package linux-image-uname -r".
                    I tried just now to actually paste it in, but that's not so easy - it is being recognized in recovery mode, but when I trie listing its contents, I get only a series of dots and something "created_by_pmount".

That Debian uses the same GUIs as Ubuntu is nice to know though it was not exactly what I had asked. As far as I know, Debian is not the same system as Ubuntu, is it?

@miwarlock 002
                    I already have the latest version of linux-image-386 installed, just tried it out.
                    I'll try that with the xserver.

Regards,

runtime_error

P.S.: It wooorks! My notebook is back among the living! Ubuntubidubiduuu!
                    Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X