Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QtParted Problems with Manual Edit (ped_disk_new?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QtParted Problems with Manual Edit (ped_disk_new?)

A while back (Oct.,'06) a newbie ran into a problem with QtParted and manually editing a partition table. The topic died after a question was asked and no answer was forthcoming. Time for Round #2.

My main machine is multi-boot with 6 distros right now and is both my joy and my curse. In addition, I won an Acer Aspire 3003+ laptop a while ago and have been running it dual boot for a while now. There is a third partition I ceated for a trial of DSL, but it is not in use, as well as the swap partition. I refer to my laptop as TOM, and Tom, my totally obedient moron has a problem.

Right now it is running Mandriva 7 which I have had enough of. I have copied all my home directory data to the other large partition (Windoze, vfat) and then ran Feisty's install, only to find out that it cannot see anything on my hard drive! The specific error is "Critical error during ped_disk_new". It wants to start from scratch and erase my data - both copies!

I rebooted into Mandriva, which is running perfectly. QtParted has the same error, even though it is running from a partition it can't see. BTW, all the partitions have been checked and the filesystems, at least, appear to be fine. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate all the help I can get, otherwise I can't get Feisty to install.

The Geekosaur
    "There is one medical condition that will afflict all of mankind sooner or later. It is called the Furniture Syndrome, which becomes noticeable when your chest falls into your drawers."

Re: QtParted Problems wwith Manual Edit (ped_disk_new?)

Originally posted by Geekosaur
    QtParted
    You may want to give GParted (live system) a try, instead - as from my experience, QtParted is useless at best ... :P

Comment

Re: QtParted Problems with Manual Edit (ped_disk_new?)

Thanks for the suggestion UnicornRider. I tried gparted alone first, before downloading and burning the LiveCD, and the result was the same. I figured the LiveCD probably wouldn't help so I put that aside and looked deeper. It appears from detailed investigation that two partitions were 'sharing' .

I tried several methods to try and recover from it. disktype found all the partitions, but couldn't do more than show I wasn't completely nuts - my wife isn't so sure, but...

fatsort confirmed most of the vfat partition was there ok, and it has files.

Finally testdisk did the trick. It is an amazing tool that comes highly recommended. It completely rebuilt my table so that I have my data. Mandriva wont boot, but I was trashing it anyway.

The next trick would have been gpart. I don't know if it would have helped since I don't know it at all.

I hope this can help someone else.

The OldSeaDog

Comment

Working...
      X