X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Display Manager

Hi,

I have a Dell subnotebook now running Kubuntu Dapper - I still have a Xubuntu bootsplash because Xfce was on it before, but I don't think that matters too much. When installing KDE, I was asked which Display Manager I would like to use - Gnome Display Manager or KDM. Not really knowing about any differences there might be, I selected KDM. The system takes a bit longer to boot up than it did with Xfce, but then it all works just fine.
    The thing that has me wondering is when I'm shutting down and watching the shutdown splash: There comes a line "Stopping KDM" followed by "Stopping Gnome Display Manager". So it would seem that I have KDM on top of the Gnome DM - or the other way round, I'm not so sure about the order. Can anybody lay this out for me? I don't really think they are both installed - that would be kind of stupid and Linux is generally anything but, it just confuses me.
    Thanks for any hints!
    Regards,

runtime_error

Re: Display Manager

For starters: the process table (to be accessed via [Alt][F2]) will betray to you any display manager(s) "running around" ... in addition, the console command which gdm will reveal the Gnome display manager's hiding to you - if applicable

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

Alt+F2 didn't work for me - AltGr (the one on the right hand side) does nothing and the left one + F2 opens the "Run command" dialog.
      "which gdm" in the shell did work - but according to that, there's only gdm. But I don't quite believe that - I selected kdm when installing KDE and if it wasn't there, how come there's a "stopping kdm" in the shutdown splash?
      Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

Originally posted by runtime_error
        Alt+F2 didn't work for me
        Ooops, should have been [Ctrl][Esc] ... I'm getting old

"which gdm" in the shell did work
        Meaning that GDM actually is installed - in parallel to KDM (which you're using ...).

Comment

Hello UnicornRider,

well, there we have it. Two Display Managers, who need that? I guess gdm was there first and since I didn't actually reinstall the whole system, but merely installed KDE on the existing one, it stayed put, of course. How can I get rid of one of them now?
          Thanks!
          Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

How can I get rid of one of them now?
            At first sight, I'd suggest to apt-get --purge remove gdm ("under restriction of possible dependencies", of course ...).

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

that was fast! I'll try that. Can't go more than wrong ;-)
              What's strange: On the process table, I couldn't find gdm, only kdm...
              The process table could also be very helpful for something else - I'm trying to squeeze as much as possible out of my battery in terms of duration, so I'll be looking for any unnecessary processes that I can stop. I've already removed the clock and the like from my panel, Katapult would be an obvious candidate for instance, let's see. I've started a thread on that issue here, I'll see now if anyone has posted something.
              I'll keep you posted on my progress with gdm.
              Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

that worked. Hooray, Sir! ;-)
                GDM is gone. I just watched the shutdown splash and the line "stopping Gnome Display Manager" is gone, so I reckon it's not there anymore. I restarted before that and it seems to work fine, kdm is still there, it does show up on the process table.
                There remain some other problems, but this particular one is solved, so I'll - well, do you know how I can actually mark a thread as solved here? I don't have a clue, I'll just try to edit a [solved] in my first post's title if it's possible.
                Regards,

runtime_error

Comment

Working...
                X