This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitioning Problem

In the process of installing because My hard drive was already Partitioned Win XP on one Half The other half Blank ready for Kubuntu .When it got to the partitioning stage Gparted only offered me Two choices .So I Aborted And used Acronis Partition Expert to make (1 ) A / partition ( 2) a swap partition (3) /home partition all as ext3 formats .
    however the first one the / partition ended up as a Windows Partition Labeled FAT32 LBA .I am now trying to change that partition back to / but cannot see how to change the name .I could put another partition in the /home partition .but that would leave 10GB partition unused.as I wanted put both XP & Linux folders together . should I try to format that partition again and try and label it / .sorry if this does not explain it very well .
    Has anyone got any ideas please

Re: Partitioning Problem

I would also like to know what LBA stands for. cheers

Comment

LBA = Logical Block Addressing

This is the replacement BIOS Level configuration for storing information on hard disks. It's predecessor, CHS (Clusters, Heads, Sectors) was very inefficient and rarely supported drives over 1024 mb.

Back to the initial topic, there should be an option to manually edit the partition table on the Kubuntu live cd install, otherwise, you can choose the advanced setup during the bootloader for the Kubuntu live cd (whatever option you hit to enter other options usually a key press). I believe you can type in "server" or "advanced" in the boot prompt to get a text based install but I know you can modify the partition scheme that way. I would double check that the partition is really non-existant and not an extension of your other partition.

Comment

I wanted put both XP & Linux folders together
        Not quite sure how that will work. Linux will read and write FAT32 and sometimes works with NTFS. So you could share some data that way (photos, music, maybe email). I wouldn't bet critical files on that proposal, though.

Acronis should show you your exact filesystem layout, as will the Linux version of fdisk. The fdisk utility will be on your live CD, and you could always run
        Code:
        fdisk -l
        from a console in Linux to get a list of your partition layout. In fact, you could copy and paste that back into a post back to this thread.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

thank you folks for your help. I will let you know how I get on
          cheers

Comment

Here is excellent material on planning and partitioning for a dual boot Win/Linux system, with the intention to share files/folders:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

Comment

Well I Put the the Kubuntu disc in and went through to the partitioning part to try to change the partition that went wrong. Changed that from having a windows flag above it to ext3 & / pressed continue and after a few seconds it said it could not mount the partition , so I aborted . restarted windows to find I just had a100 GB hard disk which is what I wanted but nothing else showing . opened acronis partition expert and it showed I had all the partitions that I wanted .
              100GB for Windows
              2 GB linux swap
              12GB /
              100GB /home

so tonight will go ahead and install .BUT why did it say it could not do it when it had?? showing a windows trait there I fear

Comment

forgot to say thank you for your help and reassurance
                sussexer

Comment

Working...
                X