• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: floppy

Mike, your thought for the day, and I say this with love:

thumbdrive

Comment

I really agree. I initially played around with 3.5 floppy on Kubuntu, just because. What I use now is the thumbdrive or Memory Stick, what ever you want to call it. Simply the best option. They really have come down in price for a decent size capacity.

Comment

Well, my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, but I have a couple of old computers lying around and I am going to cannibalize one of them and install a floppy tomorrow just to see what happens. Might need it some day. I'll post back my experience with this.

Comment

I got the 1.44 mb floppy drive installed. But it does not show up automatically, and does not read a disk when inserted. You can mount the disk using the normal mount command without problems, and I created a desktop icon as did one of the previous posters. I'll probably never use this thing again. I bought a thumb drive (1GB) at Wally World the other day for $20. It takes this floppy drive about three full minutes to mount about 800 kb.

Comment

I just discovered something new. If you install mtools

Code:
            sudo apt-get install mtools
            then when you open Konqueror you can type "floppy:/" in the location bar and it will open the floppy disk in the drive. Much faster than mounting the disk.

There is also a frontend GUI program for mtools called MToolsFM that works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              I just discovered something new. If you install mtools
              Good find, detonate!

However, like you I find myself kinda scratching my head -- the floppy drive that I put in my new system which I built only 6 months ago had never had a diskette in it until I did the same experiment you did (last week) and found that if you go through the mount process it will eventually show up as available to use in Kubuntu. I don't know what I was thinking at the time I bought it -- I guess since it only cost $10 USD, and the motherboard had a floppy connector on it, I though "why not?". It hasn't been that long since the 1.44MB diskette was an invaluable component of a high-end PC, but now it reminds me of the old farmers' definition of "useless", which I will paraphrase for politeness:

"mammary glands on the male horse"

EDIT: Oh yeah, now I remember! My whizzy new Intel D975XBX motherboard showed up with (surprise!) two 1.44MB diskettes, which hold the SATA RAID drivers. Which I think is caused by the fact that Mickeysoft's last generation of Windows (XP) still makes you press F6 during installation if you want to set up a RAID array, and insert diskettes ....

Comment

As I said, I had a couple of floppy drives from some old computers that I cannibalized for parts, so it was a fun exercise. I recently emptied a file cabinet drawer that was completely full of 3.5 disks and threw most of them away, but I kept a few that might have a few old files I want on them. That''ll be fun, going through those. I have several old Zip 100 disks that I know have some pictures on them I want, And I still have the old Zip drive around. Maybe that will be my next project.

Comment

As far as ZIP drives, I have a good post with some links about that (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13058.0). That is a great find for the floppy though, I never lucked up on that during my ZIP set up. Cool!!

Comment

My Zip is a Iomega Parallel Port 100mb. I think this is going to be a challenge

Right now I am working on a XP machine without the original disks and trying to recover it for the owner. I'll be having a lot of fun the next few hours..

Comment

Right now I am working on a XP machine without the original disks and trying to recover it for the owner.
                      Yuck! Good luck with that. Worst case, take out his hard drive and make it a slave on your computer, copy his data and burn it on a DVD(s), then yell "Thank God we didn't lose any of your data!". Then you can give him the bad news about the new OS he needs ....

Comment

That is exactly what I am doing. Except he has a brand new 3.8 GB HD he wants installed, so I am killing two birds with one stone. I can't even get into the windows install, so Kubuntu is going on the new drive, and then I'll copy his files from the old drive.

Comment

My Zip is a Iomega Parallel Port 100mb. I think this is going to be a challenge
                          At least on my "06.10", this took me less than five minutes The (potential) stumbling block: the kernel modules for the parallel port, which you might have to load manually (and which, in extreme cases, might even be "blacklisted").

Comment

Working...
                          X