This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X won't start

Okay, this is more of a Xubuntu problem, but I assume since the only difference is the DE, this should work the same.

When I boot up, I'm presented with the splash screen. Check CDs for defects, it's fine. I attempt to run the LiveCD, and I get this crazy, crazy, series of letters and numbers after it tells me things are booting (Kernel, user settings, etc.) and then X tries to start, but a warning comes, and tells me after 6 attempts, it was unsucessful, and tells me to wait or go to command-line.

I go to command-line, and type in "startx", shows a bunch of strings of text, tries to start, but there's only a grey screen with a messed up mouse, it fails, and tells me something in the X11 directory needs to be changed from 1 to 2 or something.

How do I get it up and running? I'm using integrated video right now, according to 'blows it's an Intel 810 chipset. (I'll go look for more info if you need it) I'm using integrated, because the stupid mobo doesn't have a PCIE/AGP/PCIX slot. (This is from 1999, so I guess a PCIE slot would be a bit scary)

Re: X won't start

Do the same thing that you did before to get to the command line, and then on the command line give it:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This is a script to configure the xserver. Mostly you can accept the defaults, unless you are aware of a keyboard or mouse requirement that is different than the default. When you get to the display driver, choose "VESA" rather than the one for your graphics card. When you get to the monitor, make sure to "x" the resolution that you want for your desktop. Set the refresh range as appropriate for your monitor. Finish the script, then type in "startx" and you should get a graphical desktop.

Comment

Thanks dibl!

I'll try that out ASAP and see if it'll work.

Comment

(Sorry for double post)

Managed to get in with safe mode graphics, but the installer is too big to fit on my screen >

Is there any way to resize windows? I wasn't able too.

I don't think I'll be able to get out of 640x480 any time soon, because typing "sudo dpgk-reconfigure xserver-xorg" gave me a '404. If I can get it installed it'd be easier for me, so I can toy with it.

Comment

Working...
        X