This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMplayer only fires up as ROOT?? (sudo)

I installed vmplayer i while back, first from the repos, which didnt start up at all, and then from the vmplayer site install script which does work....with one drawback...it will not run as regular user, Which I assume is not a good thing.

I tried chmod to make sure it would be executable by user as well to no avail...as i said this was several months ago and im open to installing whatever version is now available if necessary....i put this in as a possible bug in launchpad, but it seems it wasnt a kubuntu/ubuntu bug. Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how did you correct it? Don't mind reinstalling or installing a newer or older version, just not crazy about running an emulator as root only.

The desciption in launchpad was identical to what happened to me. Any answers would be appreciated.

cheers

Re: VMplayer only fires up as ROOT?? (sudo)

*bump*

ive since uninstalled and had less luck on dapper with a reinstall attempt, given that vmware seems to expect an older dapper kernel header package?

anyone install vmplayer recently on an up to date dapper box, and if so, how?

thanks

Comment

Hi,

I have VMWare Player installed on my Dapper box at home, and as I recall, I didn't do anything special, I just ran the install script.

Can you provide some more details? Are there any error messages when you try to run it as a unprivileged user? Have you been trying to run it with different VMWare machines? Any details you provide would be helpful. This package should just work.

Update: I just looked at my installation, and I notice that /usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx is installed suid root, so I would check that file on your installation and see if that is the case for you.

Comment

Will give it anther go, at installing in the next few days.....should i use the vmware site? the one in the repos seems less likely to 'just work' from past experience, and references, iirc the .25 kernel version, not the 2.6.15-27 im running.......i ll get back as to what goes wrong (if anything)

thanks

Comment

Yeah, come to think of it, maybe that is the difference between my experience and yours. For the record, I had downloaded VMware-player-1.0.3-34682.tar.gz from the VMWare website, though I'd guess a later version would be fine.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X